29 A Bump in the Night
夜晚一击
I don't care to live in a burgeoning city.
我不喜欢生活在一个日益发展的城市。
When a city burgeons too rapidly, it creates two unfortunately by-products, crime and pollution.
如果一个城市发展过快,就将带来两大不幸的后果:犯罪与污染。
That's why I live in a cabin in the woods.
所以我选择住在树林里的小木屋,
It's miles away from the nearest bypass.
这里距离最近的旁道有数里之遥,
It's the perfect place for a retired cabinetmaker.
这里还是退休细木工人的最佳选择。
It's relatively quiet except for the buzz of the bees and the occasional cadence of horses galloping in the distance.
除了蜜蜂的嗡嗡声和远处偶然疾驰而来的有节奏的马蹄声,树林里相对安静。
Nobody comes to visit me, although a mouse did burrow into my cabin once.
没有人来拜访我,不过确实有一只耗子曾挖洞来过我的小木屋。
You can't even get a cab here.
这里甚至叫不到出租车。
The isolation has left me with plenty of time for hobbies.
远离尘嚣的我有充足的时间搞些业余爱好。
I've ever had time to sculpt a bust of my father and to burnish it.
我甚至花时间雕了一尊我父亲的半身像,并把它擦得锃亮。
I don't need to travel very far.
我不用走很远,
The furthest I need to go is through the trees and bushes to collect a bundle of firewood and a bunch of fruit.
我最远只需穿过树林和灌木丛,去找一堆柴火、摘一串水果。
I do wish I had some animals.
我真希望我能拥有一些动物,
Perhaps a cow for milk and some chickens for eggs.
也许是一头能挤奶的母牛和几只能下蛋的鸡。
It would be interesting to make butter with the milk.
用牛奶做奶油应该很有趣。
The woods are a relative safe place, so calamities are rare.
树林里相对安全,极少有灾难发生。
The closest misfortune I came to was the time a burglar broke into my cabin and tried to steal some food.
我遇上的最能称之为不幸的事就是一个试图偷食物的夜贼闯进我的小木屋。
It was late at night.
那是深夜,
Fortunately, the buzzer of my homemade burglar alarm woke me up.
幸好我自制的警报器把我吵醒了。
I bumped him on the head with my broom and he went running out the door.
我用扫把猛抽了他脑袋一下,然后他夺门而出,逃之夭夭。
I didn't get a clear look at his face because of his black mask.
我没有看清他的脸,因为他蒙着黑色的面罩。
Although I was angry, I didn't call the police.
我尽管很生气,但还是没有叫警察。
You don't bother the police with these kinds of things in the woods, especially if your burglar is just a raccoon.
你不会为树林里发生的这点小事麻烦警察的,尤其当你遇到的夜贼不过是只浣熊。