A: Bob refused all his classmates' invitation.
鲍勃拒绝了班上所有人的邀请。
B: I really could not understand him.
我真的不明白他这个人。
A: He's surely a hard nut. Nobody likes approaching him.
他真是个脑子不开窍的人,没人愿意接近他。
B: We'd better also leave him alone.
我们最好也别惹他。
01 hard nut
难对付的人;顽固不化的人;不容易了解的人
He's a hard nut; he won't back down easily.
他是个硬汉,不会轻易让步。
hard nut to crack
难对付的人;棘手的事
This math problem is a hard nut to crack.
这个数学题很难解。
He is a hard nut to crack, but we managed to negotiate a deal with him.
他是个难缠的人,但我们设法与他谈判达成一致。
My manager is a hard nut to crack. He always shouts at me about what I have done.
我的经理是个难对付的人,他总是针对我做的事情对我大吼大叫。
The old computer is a hard nut to crack, it keeps crashing, and we can't figure out the problem.
这台旧电脑是个难题,总是死机,并且我们无法找到问题所在。
The problem of hunger worldwide is a hard nut to crack. I'm afraid that scientists need to put in more efforts.
全球性饥饿问题是个棘手问题,恐怕科学家需要付出更多的努力。
02 approach
接近/靠近某人或某地
The train approached the station.
火车靠近车站。
The airplane approached the runway, preparing for landing.
飞机靠近跑道,准备降落。
As I approached the park, I could hear the laughter of children playing.
当我走近公园时,我能听到孩子们玩耍的笑声。
03 leave sb alone
让某人单独待着,不要打扰或者干涉某人
Can you leave your brother alone? He's trying to study.
你能让你的弟弟单独待会吗?他正在学习。
I need some time to think, so please leave me alone.
我需要一些时间来思考,所以请让我单独待会。
He's in bad mood, so it's best to leave him alone.
他心情不好,最好别打扰他。