Welcome to English in a minute.
欢迎来到《一分钟英语》栏目!
This American idiom is about getting your facts right.
这个美语俚语是指直接收到消息。
Did you hear that rumor going around about Craig and Cheryl calling off their wedding?
你听说关于克莱和查理要取消婚礼的那个谣言了吗?
Yeah. I heard it straight from the horse's mouth.
我听说了。我是直接从当事人那里得到的消息。
Craig told me he's calling off the wedding.
克莱告诉我他正在取消婚礼。
I didn't want to ask too many questions, but it's true.
我不想问太多问题,但是这是真的。
Do people really look into a horse's mouth for facts?
人们真的要从马嘴中寻找事实嘛?
Straight from the horse's mouth means you got information about a situation directly from a person involved, and not through rumors.
Straight from the horse's mouth的意思是直接从当事人那里得到消息,而不是通过谣言。
The saying comes from the fact that people can tell the true age of a horse by looking at the teeth in its mouth.
这个说法来源于人们可以通过观察马嘴中的牙齿,就可以知道马的年龄这一事实。
So if you get your information straight from the horse's mouth, you have the truth!
因此当你直接从当事人那里得到消息时,那么你就是得到了事实!
And that's English in a minute.
以上就是今天的《一分钟英语》栏目!