Welcome to English in a Minute!
欢迎来到《一分钟英语》栏目。
When you hear this American idiom, are people just talking about eating, or something else? Food for Thought
当你听到人们在说这个美国习语的时候,你会认为他们谈论的是食物吗?还是别的东西?引人深思
How did you like that book I gave you to read? Did you finish it?
你觉得我给你的那本书怎么样?你读完了吗?
Oh, yeah! No, I loved it! It really gave me food for thought!
太棒了!还没有,我爱极了!这本书真的让我深思!
I learned so much about gambling.
我了解到了很多关于赌博的东西。
Food for Thought. It means to think carefully about something.
引人深思。这个短语表示认真的思索某事。
How did someone dream up this saying?
为什么有人会创造出这个习语呢?
Well, just like the mouth chews on food, people say the mind can chew on thoughts.
就像嘴巴嚼食物一样,人们认为大脑也可以咀嚼思想。
Something that gives you food for thought makes you think.
带给你精神食粮的东西会让你思考。
It can be used casually, or in a business conversation.
它可以用在非正式场合,或用在商业对话中。
This idiom has been around a long time, for about 200 years.
这个习语已经存在了很长时间,大概有200年了。
And that's English in a Minute!
以上就是今天的《一分钟英语》。