Welcome to English in a Minute!
欢迎来到《一分钟英语》栏目。
Americans use this idiom in both business and personal conversations: Know The Ropes
美国人在进行商业会话和私人谈话的时候会使用这个习语。了解内情
I get to go to New York City next month for the first time.
下个月我要去纽约了,这还是我第一次去。
I am really excited, but also nervous about finding my way around.
我真的很开心,但也有点担心如何找到正确的路线。
Here is what you should do. Call my friend Sierra.
你应该这么做。给我的朋友茜拉打电话。
She has lived in New York for more than 15 years.
她住在纽约超过15年了。
She knows the ropes, and she would be happy to show you around.
她熟悉情况,她也会很开心带你四处逛逛的。
If you know the ropes, you know how to do something, or how to get something done.
如果你了解内情,你就会知道如何做这个事情,或者说如何完成某件事。
You know about a certain situation or how a job works.
你了解某个特定的情况,或知道某项工作到底是怎样运行的。
This idiom probably comes from sailing.
这个习语可能来自于航海。
To be a good sailor, one must know how to tie and use the ropes and sails.
一个人要想成为一名优秀的水手,他必须知道如何系紧和使用绳索和船帆。
If you are good at something, you can say you know the ropes!
假若你擅长于某件事,你就可以使用这个习语了!
And that's English in a Minute!
以上就是本期的《一分钟英语》!