It was a spring morning in 1601.
这是1601年春天的一个早上。
William Shakespeare is visiting Queen Elizabeth I of England.
威廉·莎士比亚在参见英格兰女王伊丽莎白一世。
She's not very happy today.
她今天不是很高兴。
I will not allow my enemies to live.
我不允许我的敌人活下去。
Tomorrow that ill-faced, murderous coward the Earl of Essex will die, and the people will know that I commanded it.
那个来自埃塞克斯的丑陋凶残的懦夫厄尔明天将会被处死,人们将会知道是我下的命令。
Very good, your Majesty.
很好,陛下。
Your players will perform Richard II for me tomorrow.
你的演员明天要给我表演《理查二世》。
A great honour, your Majesty.
这是我极大的荣幸,陛下。
Even though they performed that same play for the filthy, crooked Earl of Essex while he was planning to kill me.
虽然他们也给那个肮脏卑鄙,想要杀我的厄尔表演过这部戏剧。
Your Majesty.
陛下。
I really ought to punish you and your players for that, Shakespeare – I should cut off all your heads, or at least imprison you in the Tower.
我真的应该为了这件事惩罚你们这些演员的,莎士比亚——我应该砍了你们的头,或者至少也要把你们关进塔楼里。
Your Majesty.
陛下。
Lucky for you that I am a merciful Queen – but I am not weak.
你们很幸运,我是个仁慈的女王——但我并不软弱。
I will not allow anyone to speak badly of my character or my actions.
我不允许任何人污蔑我的人格或行为。
I am Queen of England and my reputation is everything.
我是英格兰女王,我的名声高于一切。
My enemies must fear me and respect me and the people must love me.
我的敌人要怕我敬我,人民要爱戴我。
Gossips must be silenced and traitors must be punished. Do you not agree?
谣言要被禁止,叛徒要被惩罚。你难道不同意吗?