Welcome to English in a Minute. Now, what would you think if you heard this?
欢迎收听本期的《一分钟英语》。现在如果你听到这个,你会怎么认为?
Actions speak louder than words.
Actions speak louder than words(百说不如一干)。
If you are just beginning to learn English, this might not make sense.
如果你才刚刚开始学习英语,也许不太懂是什么意思。
Let's listen and see if we can find out what this phrase means.
让我们来一起听段对话,找出该短语的意思吧。
You keep saying that you'll help me.
你总是说会帮我忙。
I am going to help you. Really, I am. You just have to wait a little while.
我是要帮助你呀。真的,我是真心实意的。你就等一会儿。
Well, we'll just wait and see. Actions speak louder than words.
好吧,我们就等等看。百说不如一干。(Actions speak louder than words)
It sounds like she needs to see action instead of words.
听起来女主角需要的是行动,而不是空话。
And that's exactly what this phrase means.
这就是该短语的意思。
Actions speak louder than words means what you do is more important than what you say.
Actions speak louder than words意思是你说做比所说的重要。
And if you say you are going to do something, then you need to do it.
如果你说你要去做某事,然后你就要去做这件事。
This is a casual phrase. But it does have a strong meaning, especially in American business, where result are important .
这是一个非正式短语。但是在美式商务环境中,它也是有着很强烈的语义的,表示结果更为重要。
And that's English in a Minute.
以上就是本期的《一分钟英语》。