Welcome to English in a Minute.
欢迎收听本期的《一分钟英语》。
Sometimes American English doesn't seem to make sense, like this:"I am under the weather."
有时候美式英语有点让人困惑,比如“I am under the weather(我身体不舒服/状态不好)”。
Under the weather -- what could that mean?
“Under the weather(身体不舒服/状态不好)”—这是什么意思?
Are you okay?
你没事吧?
Um, not really. I think I'm a little bit under the weather.
嗯,不太好。我想我有点不太舒服(under the weather)。
You should go home and get some rest.
你应该回家休息下。
Yeah, I think that's a good idea.
是的,我认为这是个好主意。
If you stand "under the weather," you might have a dark storm cloud over your head, and you might not feel very well.
如果你站在“天气下面”,在你的头顶上可能会有一团乌云,你可能不太舒服。
When you say you are "under the weather," it means you are sick or not feeling well.
当你说自己“under the weather(身体不舒服)”时,意思是你生病了不舒服。
This phrase comes from sailors at sea.
这个短语是来自水手的日常工作。
If a ship was in a bad weather and its sailors were sick, the crew would go below deck, to get out from "under the weather" to try to feel better.
如果一艘船遇到了坏天气、又恰巧船上的水手生病了,船员会到甲板下面,避免直接“在天气下面”(under the weather)。让自己感觉好点。
And that's English in a Minute.
以上就是本期的《一分钟英语》。