Examples
Man: Do you know, I never once saw my mum and dad kiss or hug?
你知道,我从未说过我的父母会亲吻或拥抱?
Man 2: Really? Gosh, that seems incredible.
真的?那简直不可思议。
Man: But I think they really loved each other. They just weren't all touchy-feely about it.
但我认为他们真的彼此相爱。他们只是不表示出来罢了。
-----------------
Woman: Did you go to that drama group?
你去看那个戏剧组了吗?
Woman 2: Yeah. I don't think I'll go again.
我想我不会去。
Woman: Oh? Why not?
为什么不去呢?
Woman 2: Well, the acting was fine. But it's all that touchy-feely stuff they do that I don't like.
因为,演出很好,但是我不喜欢他们那样的公开表露感情。
--------------------
Li: 听一听你们这些英国人!你们难道就不能表达一下自己的感受和情感吗?
William: Well, you might be right about that Li – we're not famous for talking about our feelings. Now, before we finish, I have heard this phrase touchy-feely being used in a very different way too. Listen to this:
-------------------
Example
Woman: I love your sweater!
我太喜欢你的毛衣了。
Man: Thanks.谢谢。
Woman: It's so soft! I love this material. It's so touchy-feely!
真柔软。我喜欢这种料子。摸起来手感不错。
Man: OK. Shall I take it off and then you can touch it properly?!
我把毛衣脱下来让你好好摸下?
----------------------
Li: 在刚才的例子里,touchy-feely 这个词用来描述材料的手感。The sort of material that is nice to stroke, 摸起来手感不错。
William: Yes, nice to stroke, just like Tigger used to be. I'm going to miss stroking Tigger. The way he used to purr, Li. And sometimes he would bring me a little present, you know. A dead mouse or maybe a little bird. So thoughtful.
Li: Hmm. It's OK to cry you know, William.
William: (recovering himself) No! No, no, no! No touchy-feely stuff Li!
Li: 好好好!我服了你了。我得撤了。我们下次节目再会!
William: Bye!