新英语900句视频版 第9课:我需要一份工作 文本如下:
FRIEND: Don't cry, Laura. You don't have to work there.
劳拉你不要哭, 你不一定要在那里工作.
LAURA: But I need the money!
可是我不能喝西北风! (可是我需要钱呀!)
FRIEND: Why don't you look for a new job?
你为什么不找一份新的工作?
LAURA: Where? How? I don't know my way around New York. I feel lost.
到哪里找? 怎么找? 我对纽约不熟, 我感到茫然.
FRIEND: What's wrong with the job, Laura? What don't you like about it?
劳拉, 那份工作哪里不好? 你是哪一点不喜欢呢?
LAURA: My boss. I don't understand him.
我的老板, 我不了解他.
FRIEND: What don't you understand?
你哪一点不了解?
LAURA: I don't think he's human.
我觉得他不是人.
FRIEND: What do you mean?
我不懂?
LAURA: For him, business is everything. Business is his life.
对他来说, 生意就是一切, 生意就是他的生命.
FRIEND: Oh, Laura. He can't be so bad.
噢, 劳拉, 他不可能那么差劲.
LAURA: Oh, yes he is. He's a machine.
他的确那么差劲. 他像机器一样.
LAURA: No friendly words, no smiles, no little compliments. Nothing. Just business.
从来不说一声友善的话, 从来不微笑, 从来不称赞人家一下. 什么都没有, 就只有生意.
LAURA: He isn't human.
他没有人性.
FRIEND: What about your work? You like it, don't you?
你的工作怎么样? 你喜欢, 对不对?
LAURA: Yes, I do. And I know I'm a good secretary, but...
是的, 我喜欢. 而且我知道我是个好秘书, 可是...
FRIEND: But what?
可是怎么样?
LAURA: To him, I am nothing. A machine. A late machine. I am not a machine.
我在他的眼里一文不值, 是部机器. 一部过时的机器, 但我不是机器!
FRIEND: Why don't you talk to him?
你为什么不和他说呢?
LAURA: Because he's impossible. Leopards don't change their spots. I have to look for a new job.
因为他不可理喻, 本性难移. 我必须找份新工作.
PAUL:What are you doing?
你在做什么?
JOANA: I'm writing a note to the Crawfords. I want to thank them for dinner.
我在写一封信给郭佛家人, 以感谢他们的晚餐招待.
PAUL:Why don't you call them? Here people always use the phone.
为什么不打电话? 这里的人都是用电话的.
JOANA: Well, okay.
好吧.
PAUL:Why don't we invite them to dinner?
我们为什么不请他们来吃晚餐?
JOANA: That's a good idea. I want Mama to meet Mrs. Crawford.
这个主意很好, 我希望妈妈能认识郭佛太太.
PAUL:What about Mr. Crawford? Don't you like him?
郭佛先生呢? 你不喜欢他吗?
JOANA: He's impossible.
他不可理喻.
PAUL:Be nice to him.
你要对他好一点.
JOANA: You can be nice to him. I don't like him.
你可以对他好, 我可不喜欢他.
PAUL:Are you inviting Michael, too?
你也要请迈克尔吗?
JOANA: Of course.
当然.
PAUL:He was very happy last night.
他昨天晚上很开心.
JOANA: I was, too.
我也很开心.
PAUL:But Michael is always so quiet. And last night, he was talking and laughing.
可是迈克尔总是那么沉默. 而昨天晚上他却有说有笑.
JOANA: What do you think about Michael?
你对迈克尔印象怎么样?
PAUL:I think he's a great guy, but he isn't very ambitious.
我认为他人非常好, 可是不太上进.