第五节 鼓励与安慰
40.Cheer up!
振作起来!
【疯狂实战】
A: My wife has been gone for two weeks visiting her mother.
(我妻子回娘家已经两个星期了。)
B: Cheer up! She’ll be back soon.
(别垂头丧气的!她很快就会回来的。)
A: Our proposal didn’t go through.
(我们的提议没有通过。)
B: Cheer up! I have a better idea.
(振作起来!我有个更好的主意。)
A: I missed an important class before the test.
(我错过了考试前的一堂重要的课。)
B: Cheer up! I’ll show you my notes.
(别担心!我把我的笔记给你看。)
【额外成就感】
“cheer up” 也可用作“cheer sb.up” ,意为“使某人高兴/振作起来” 。
①I’ll cheer her up.(我会让她高兴起来的。)
②I’m trying to cheer you up.(我会努力让你振作起来的。)
③Let’s cheer Susan up.(我们去安慰一下Susan。)
41.Hang in there!
别气馁;坚持下去!
【疯狂讲解】
这个口语要素是个成语,含有牢牢抓住什么不放手的含义,在不论如何艰难困苦也毫不后退的场合使用。常用于口语,书面一般不用。
【疯狂实战】
A: I can’t believe I failed the exam again.
(简直不敢相信,我这次考试又不及格。)
B: Hang in there! Give it another try.
(别灰心!再接再厉!)
A: My husband got fired.
(我老公被炒鱿鱼了。)
B: Oh, no! Hang in there, Kim!
(噢,太不幸了!一定要扛住呀,Kim!)
A: English is so difficult. Grammar really bothers me!
(英语可真难学,它的语法让我烦透了!)
B: Hang in there!
(别泄气!)
【额外成就感】
①Just hang in there!(一定要坚持住!)
②Just hang in there. Everything is going to be all right.(不要气馁。一切都会好的。)
42.Don’t give up!
别放弃!
【疯狂实战】
A: Don’t give up, Eden. Hang in there!
(不要放弃,Eden。继续努力!)
B: I’m doing my best!
(我正在努力!)
A: I asked the boss for a raise, but he said no.
(我要求老板给我加薪,可他说不行。)
B: Don't give up. Try again later.
(别灰心。以后再试试看。)
A: I just don’t think I’ll ever learn to speak good English.
(我想我永远也讲不好英语。)
B: Don’t give up. You can do it.
(别放弃。你能做到的。)