职场社交英语 Lesson 49:我在考虑跳槽
SCENE① A 吉娜与戴夫在他们的办公室隔间说话
【我在考虑跳槽】
Zina: Dave, there's something I want to talk to you about.
吉娜: 戴夫,我要跟你谈一件事。
Dave: Zina, why are you 1) whispering?
戴夫: 吉娜,你干嘛那么小声?
Zina: I've been talking to WebTracker. I'm thinking of jumping ship.
吉娜: 我一直跟"网路搜寻家"有联络。我在考虑跳槽。
Dave: What? Are you serious? You'd 2) defect to our 3) archrival!?
戴夫: 什么?你是认真的吗?你要向敌人投诚!?
Zina: Keep your voice down. We'll talk more later. Right now I need to see Vince.
吉娜: 小声点。我们晚点再详谈。我现在得要去找文斯。
Dave: We definitely have to talk, Zina. And watch your back. Elvin is still mad about his nose.
戴夫: 我们一定得聊聊,吉娜。多留点神。艾文还在气他鼻子的那档事。
Zina: OK, but don't tell anyone what I said.
吉娜: 好,不过别把我说的话告诉别人。
语言详解:
A: (Loudly) Why are you whispering?
(大喊)你干嘛那么小声啊?
B: We're in a library, you dork.
我们在图书馆里,蠢蛋。
【Are you serious? 你是认真的吗?】
serious有两个主要意义,其一是“严肃的、认真的”,另一是“严重的、重大的”。与“人”连用时通常是第一种解释,与“疾病、局势、问题”连用则属第二种解释,例如:
We have to be serious about our future.
我们要认真的面对未来。
The situation is really serious.
局势真的很严重。
A: I heard John was hospitalized.
我听说约翰住进医院。
B: Are you serious?
你是说真的吗?
A: Yes. He suffered a serious injury in an accident.
真的。他在意外事件中受到严重伤害。
1) whisper (v.) 低语,呢喃
2) defect (v.) 背弃(同盟,祖国)to的后面接名词,指所投向的新对象
3) archrival (n.) 死敌,最大的敌人 arch 这个字首 (prefix) 是指“首要的,主要的”