职场社交英语 Lesson 48:你对每个人都了若指掌
SCENE④ A 吉娜回到了自己的隔间
【你对每个人都了若指掌】
Zina: So will you back me up if things get ugly with Elvin?
吉娜: 要是我跟艾文闹翻了,你会支持我吗?
Dave: I will if you tell me how you're so sure that we're going to come out on top.
戴夫: 我会支持你,只要你说出你怎么如此肯定我们会独占鳌头。
Zina: We just will. 1) Trust me on that.
吉娜: 我们就是会。信我就是了。
Dave: After what you did, I don't know how hard Elvin's going to work to 2) meet your deadline.
戴夫: 在你做了那件事后,我不知道艾文工作会有多打拼,好赶上你的期限。
Zina: He'll do it. He's too proud not to.
吉娜: 他会的。他拉不下这张老脸。
Dave: You've got everyone 3) figured out, don't you?
戴夫: 你对每个人都了若指掌,是吧?
Zina: Yes, I do. Everyone.
吉娜: 对,我是。每个人。
语言详解:
A: Are you going to be able to make the deadline
你能赶上最后期限吗?
B: If I don' sleep for the next two days, it should be possible.
如果我在接下来两天都不睡的话,应该可能。
【...get ugly ……撕破脸】
ugly 除了大家所熟知的意思“丑的”,另外的常用意思是“(事态)剑拔弩张”。something gets ugly... 的意思是指事态大有一发不可收拾的情势,或彼此的关系处于紧绷的紧张状态。
A: Things are getting ugly in here.
事情弄到已经快要撕破脸了。
B: I'm going to leave before it gets any worse.
我要在这里变得更糟糕以前先离开。
1) Trust me on that. “相信我就对了。”这句话用在怂恿对方相信自己所说的话。
2) meet the deadline 赶上最后期限。meet 在此指“符合、满足(要求)”。
3) figure out 理解,弄清楚