有很多同学在大学的时候都非常爱好翻译和口译,立志以后要从事相关职业。如果你也有这样的想法,那你需要好好阅读下面的文章,告诉你关于做翻译和口译需要做好准备的10件事。
1. Read extensively, especially in your non-native language(s).
广泛阅读,尤其是非母语类阅读。
Read high quality newspapers (e.g. the New York Times, Wall Street Journal) EVERY DAY for at least a year.
每天阅读优质报纸(例如:《纽约时报》、《华尔街日报》),并且至少坚持一年。
Read high quality news magazines (e.g. the Economist), cover to cover.
一页一页地阅读优质新闻杂志,例如《经济学人》。
Read your favorite topics in your non-native language(s).
阅读非母语类的你最感兴趣的话题。
Read other well-written material that will help broaden your general knowledge.
阅读其他能够拓展你知识面的优秀资料。
2. Watch the TV news and listen to radio news and podcasts on current events in all working languages.
收看收听所有工作语言的最新时事电视新闻、广播新闻和播客。
Don't just listen to news stories; analyze them.
别只听新闻内容,还要有所分析。
Keep abreast of current events and issues.
随时了解最新时事和问题。
Record news programs and interviews so you can listen to them later.
录下新闻节目和访谈,以便日后细听。
3. Live in a country where your non-native language is spoken.
在非母语的国家生活。
A stay of at least six months to a year is recommended.
推荐至少呆上半年至一年时间。
Live with and/or frequently interact with native speakers of your non-native language.
与母语为你的非母语的人生活,或者经常跟他们进行交流。
Take content-related courses (e.g. macroeconomics, political science) in your non-native language (not just pure language courses).
参加非母语类相关内容的课程(例如:宏观经济学、政治学),而不是纯语言类的课程。
Work in a setting that requires high level use of your non-native language.
在严格要求使用非母语的环境中工作。
4. Strengthen your general knowledge of economics, history, the law, international politics, and scientific concepts and principles (in that order).
强化你在经济、历史、法律、国际政治以及科学概念和原理方面的知识(按此顺序)。
Take college-level courses, review high school texts, etc.
学习大学级别的课程,复习高中课文等。
Strengthen your knowledge in a specialized field (preferably in a technical field, such as computers).
加强你在某一专业领域的知识(尤其是科技领域,比如计算机)。
5. Fine-tune your writing and research skills.
训练你的写作和研究技能。
Take challenging composition courses (not just creative writing courses, but classes in journalism, technical writing, etc.) so you can “speak”journalese, UNese, legalese, etc.
参加有挑战性的写作课(不是那种纯粹的创新写作课程,而是关于新闻写作、科技类写作的课程),这样你才能了解新闻文体、联合国文体、法律文体等等。
Copy (by hand) sections of textbooks and periodicals in your non-native language(s).
用非母语手写抄下课本的节选和期刊的文摘。
Make a note of unfamiliar or troublesome grammatical points and work towards mastering them.
列出不熟悉或难搞定的语法点,然后努力攻克它们。
Practice proofreading.
练习纠错能力。