What is it actually like at the South Pole?
南极到底是什么样?
I know you've been there on a numer of occasions.
我知道你去过那里很多次。
Yes,I have and each time I'm struck by the awesome beauty of the place.
是的,每一次我都被那里令人敬畏的美丽打动。
It's magnificent but you can really only visit it in the summer munths. October to March.
很壮丽,但是你只能在夏季去那里。十月到三月。
Yes,because it's completely dark for four months of the year...and in addition it has to be the coldest place on earth.
是的,因为一年中有四个月是完全黑暗的,它也是地球上最冷的地方。
Colder than the North Pole?Why's that?
比北极还冷?为什么会这样?
Well,unlike the North Pole,which is actually a frozen sea,Antarctica is a land mass shaped like a dome,
它不像北极是冰冻之海,南极像一块圆顶形的陆地,
with the result that the winds blow down the slopes at speeds of up to 150km an hour and that's what makes it so cold.
风从斜坡上以每小时150公里的时速吹下,使这里变得极为寒冷。
And one other interesting thing is that Antarctica is the driest continent on earth, surprisingly,
而且另一件有趣的事情是南极洲竟然是地球上最干旱的大洲,
and so you have to drink large amounts of water when you're there.
所以当你抵达那里后得喝大量的水。
How old is Antarctica?
南极洲多大了?
We're pretty sure it was part of a larger land mass but is broke away from the rest of the continent 170 million years ago.
我们确认它曾是一块大陆的一部分,但是在1.7亿年前与剩下的大洲断开了。
How can you be certain of this?
你怎么能这么确定?
beacuse fossils and rocks have been discovered in Antarctica which are the same as those found in places such as Africa and Australia.
因为在南极洲发现的化石和岩石与在非洲、澳洲等地发现的一样。
Amazing...To think that it was once attached to Africa...
太神奇了,想到它曾经与非洲相连。