The reason for this preference is simple.
这种优选的原因很简单。
A gap year gives young people an opportunity to learn skills and gain life experience that school or university cannot provide.
休学实践年给予年轻人一个学习技巧和获得人生经历的机会,是学校和大学所不能提供的。
It helps young people develop and grow.
这有助于年轻人发展和成长。
Last year, Carol Smith went from the UK to Brazil, where she worked on a project to help save the Amazon rainforest.
去年,卡罗尔·史密斯从英国来到巴西,在此她从事一个帮助挽救亚马逊雨林的项目。
She said, "My friends always thought I was too delicate,
她说:“我的朋友们一直认为我的体质很差,”
but living away from home in such a remote place taught me to be more independent.
但是远离家乡生活在这样一个遥远的地方教会我要更独立。
Of course, I missed home, but I'd definitely recommend it.
当然,我很想念家乡,但是我肯定推荐这样。
I feel like I've really made a difference and helped the rainforest."
我觉得我真的要做出贡献,帮助保护雨林。”
Daniel Jones, another student who chose to take a gap year, spent one year teaching in Ghana before returning to the UK.
丹尼尔·琼斯,另一名进行休学实践年的学生是他在返回英国之前在加纳教了一年的书。
He taught English and maths to poor students in the countryside.
他给乡村的贫穷学生教英语和数学。
He found living among local people there to be challenging but worthwhile.
他发现与那里的当地人住在一起很具挑战性,但也非常值得。
"Families there are so poor that they didn't even have basic things like refrigerators or kettles.
“那里的家庭都很贫穷,他们甚至没有像电冰箱或水壶这样的基本设施。
In fact, they didn't have any electricity.
事实上,他们还没有电。
At night, we couldn't just hit a light switch; we had to use a flashlight or an old oil lantern to give us some light.
在晚上,我们不能打开电灯开关,只得用手电筒或老式煤油灯给我们照明。
After living in such conditions, now I feel I'm ready to face challenges in the future."
生活在这种环境之后,现在我感觉要准备面对未来的挑战。”