Literature Spot 3
文学作品3
Franken Stein
《弗兰肯斯坦》
By Mary Shelley
玛丽·雪莱著
My name is Captain Walton.
我是舰长华尔顿。
My ship was exploring the Arctic when we found a man on a piece of floating ice.
我的船只在考查北极时,发现一个男人躺在一块浮冰上。
He was called Victor Frankenstein.
他叫维克多·弗兰肯斯坦。
One night, he told me a strange tale.
当晚,他跟我讲了一个奇怪的故事。
'My dear captain, how shall I begin? I grew up near Geneva. I was a happy child.
“我的好舰长,我该从哪开始说呢?我在日内瓦附近长大,我有个快乐的童年。
My parents had two other sons, Ernest and William, and they took in an orphan, Elizabeth.
我的父母除了我还有两个儿子,欧内斯特和威廉,他们还收养了一个孤儿,伊丽莎白。
When I was seventeen, I went to the University of Ingolstadt.
当我17岁的时候,我去了因戈尔施塔特的大学。
A professor there inspired me to study chemistry.
一个教授鼓励我去学化学。
This changed my life as I became obsessed with the search for the secret of life.
当我被创造生命的秘术迷住的时候,它改变了我的一生。
I worked day and night for two years and, finally, I found the secret.
我没日没夜地工作了2年之后,我终于发现了这秘术。
To test my discovery, I decided to create a new life in the laboratory.
为了试验我的发现,我决定在实验室里创造一个生命。
I collected parts of bodies and, after two years, I was ready to bring my creature to life.
我收集躯体的碎片,2年之后,我可以给予我的创造物生命了。
But when I saw the monster I had created, I felt horror and disgust.
但是我看着我创造出的怪物,我感到恐惧和厌恶。
How can I describe the monster?
我怎么形容这怪物呢?
You could see the muscles under his thin, yellow skin.
你透过他薄薄的黄色皮肤可以看到他的块块肌肉。
His hair was long and black, his teeth were pearly white,
他的头发长长的,黑黑的,他的牙齿倒是珍珠白的,
but his eyes were watery and his lips black.
但他的眼睛是淡色的,嘴唇是黑的。
When my friend Henry Clerval arrived,
我的朋友亨利来到时,
I said nothing about the monster, which by now had left my house.
我对我那已经逃跑很久的怪物只字未提。