Using Language
语言应用
Reading and discussing
阅读和讨论
Come and Eat Here (2)
到这里来用餐吧(2)
A week later, Wang Peng's restaurant was nearly full and he felt happier.
一周后,王鹏的餐馆几乎坐满了人,他感到高兴些了。
Perhaps he would be able to earn his living after all and not have to close his restaurant.
也许他仍然能够谋生,而不至于关闭自己的餐馆。
He did not look forward to being in debt because his restaurant was no longer popular.
他不希望由于餐馆不受欢迎而负债。
He smiled as he welcomed some customers warmly at the door but the smile left his face when he saw Yong Hui walking in.
他微笑地站在门口热情地迎接他的客人。但他一见到雍慧走进来,脸上的笑容马上就消失了。
She did not look happy but glared at him.
雍慧瞪着他,看上去不太高兴。
“May I ask what you were doing in my restaurant the other day?
“请问你那天到我餐馆里来干什么?
I thought you were a new customer and now I know that you only came to spy on me and my menu," she shouted. "
我本来以为你是一位新顾客,现在我才发现你只是过来打探我和我的菜谱的。”她大声问道。
Please excuse me," he calmly explained," I wanted to know where all my customers had gone last week.
王鹏心平气和地解释说,“很对不起,上周我想知道我的顾客是上哪儿吃饭去了。
I followed one of them and found them in your restaurant.
我跟着一位顾客走,发现他们在你的餐馆里。
I don't want to upset you, but I found your menu so limited that I stopped worrying and started advertising the benefits of my food.
我并不想让你心烦,不过我发现你的菜谱上的菜太少了,所以我也就不着急了,我也开始宣传我餐馆食物的好处。
Why don't you sit down and try a meal?"
你为什么不坐下吃顿饭呢?”
Yong Hui agreed to stay and soon they were both enjoying dumplings and breast of chicken cooked with garlic.
雍慧同意留下来。没过一会,他们两人就津津有味地吃起饺子和蒜蓉鸡胸。
When they were served the ice cream, Yong Hui began to look ill.
当要吃冰激凌时,雍慧开始感到不舒服了。
"I feel sick with all this fat and heavy food,"she said,
她说,“吃了这么多油腻的、难消化的食物,我都觉得恶心了。
"I miss my vegetables and fruit.
我想吃我的蔬菜和水果。”
"Wang Peng was enjoying a second plate of dumplings so he sighed. "
这时候,王鹏正在吃第二盘饺子,他叹了一口气,
Yes," he added," and I would miss my dumplings and fatty pork.
说道,“同样地,(如果在你的餐馆)我还想吃我的饺子和肥肉呢。
Don't you get tired quickly?"
你不觉得自己很容易疲乏么?”
"Well, I do have to rest a lot," admitted Yong Hui. "But don't you think it would be better if you were a bit thinner?
“是的,我的确经常需要休息;”雍慧承认了,“不过,难道你不认为你瘦一点更好么?
I'm sure you'd feel much healthier. "
我相信,那样你会觉得更健康些。”
They began to talk about menus and balanced diets.
他们开始谈论菜谱和平衡膳食的问题。
" According to my research, neither your restaurant nor mine offers a balanced diet," explained Wang Peng. "
“我的研究表明,你我两家所提供的都不是平衡膳食。”王鹏解释道,
I don't offer enough fibre and you don't offer enough body-building and energy-giving food.
“我没有提供足够的纤维食物,而你提供的食物没有足够的营养和热量。
Perhaps we ought to combine our ideas and provide a balanced menu with food full of energy and fibre. "
也许我们应该把我们的想法综合起来,作出一份富于营养、热量和纤维的平衡食谱。”
So that is what they did.
于是,他们就照此做了。
They served raw vegetables with the hamburgers and boiled the potatoes rather than frying them.
他们用生蔬菜配汉堡包,煮土豆不是油炸土豆。
They served fresh fruit with the ice cream.
还拿新鲜水果配上冰激凌。
In this way they cut down the fat and increased the fibre in the meal.
这样,他们减少了饭菜中的脂肪含量,增加了纤维素。
Their balanced diets became such a success that before long Wang Peng became slimmer and Yong Hui put on more weight.
他们的平衡食谱非常有效,王鹏很快就瘦了,而雍慧却胖了。
After some time the two found that their business cooperation had turned into a personal one.
过了不久,这两个人发现,他们生意上的合作变成了私人的合作了。
Finally they got married and lived happily ever after!
最后,他们结了婚,过上了幸福美满的生活。