Mr Harraby-Ribston considered this view.
哈利比-里伯斯顿先生想了想他说的话。
"I take it," he said at last, "that you're not, yourself, a married man."
“我想,”他最后说,“你不是一个已婚男人。”
"Not now," Mr Crowther replied.
“现在不是了,”克劳瑟先生回答道。
"Not now? You mean you've been married and you've left your wife?"
“现在不是?你的意思是说你结过婚,而现在离开了你的妻子?”
"Not quite that.
“不完全是那样。
Leaving one's wife involves leaving one's home, and that was out of the question.
离开自己的妻子就要离开家,那是不可能的,
I'm very fond of my home;
我很爱我的家,
a charming house, a charming garden, and doubly charming nowadays when I have them to myself."
一所很漂亮的房子、一个美丽的花园,而现在当我独自拥有时,它们就加倍美丽了。”
"You mean, then, that you turned your wife out?"
“那么你的意思是,你赶走了你的妻子?”
"O no, no! That would have involved all sorts of unpleasantness."
“哦,不,不,那样做会涉及各种各样不快的事。”
"Then what," asked Mr Harraby-Ribston, all curiosity once more, "what did you do?"
“那是什么,”哈利比-里伯斯顿先生问道,他又一次表现出极大的好奇,“你做了什么?”