Miss America, I presume.
是“美国小姐”驾临了吧。
Miss McCutcheon.
我姓麦卡琴。
Harry Van Dusen.
我是哈里·范杜森。
How do you do?
你好!
Miss McCutcheon.
麦卡琴小姐,你好。
I'm new here.
我是新搬来这里的。
You'd be new anywhere. Surely you don't live here.
你到哪里都会是新的。你肯定不住在这儿吧。
As a matter of fact, I do. At any rate, I've been here since last Sunday.
我就住在这里,至少打上周日起我就住在这儿了。
You see, I'm the new teacher at the school.
我是学校新来的老师。
You are?
是吗?
Yes, I am.
没错。
How do you like it?
感觉怎么样?喜欢这个地方吗?
Well, as a matter of fact, I want to quit and go home in San Francisco.
怎么说呢,说实话我想走了,回旧金山的老家,
But at the same time I have a feeling I ought to stay.
不过我又觉得我该留下来。
What do you think? Shall I go, or shall I stay?
你说我是该走还是该留?
Depends on what you're looking for.
这取决于你到这儿来寻求什么。
I stopped here twenty-four years ago because I decided I wasn't looking for anything any more.
24年前,我决定留在这里是因为我确定我不再追求什么了。
Well, I was mistaken. I was looking, and I've found exactly what I was looking for.
结果我错了,我发现那时我仍然在追求,而且我找到了我所追求的东西。
What's that?
你所追求的是什么呢?
A chance to take my time. What are you looking for, Miss McCutcheon?
是悠闲自得的生活。你又寻求什么呢,麦卡琴小姐?
Well...
嗯……
I mean, beside a husband...
我的意思是,除了找个丈夫之外……
I'm not looking for a husband. I expect a husband to look for me.
我可不是来找丈夫的,我指望丈夫来找我。
That's fair.
这倒也合乎情理。
I'm looking for a chance to teach.
我在寻找一个教书的机会。
That's fair too.
这也合情合理。
But this town... The children just don't seem to care about anything—whether they get good grades or bad, whether they pass or fail.
不过在这个镇子里……孩子们好像什么也不关心,成绩是好是差,是及格还是不及格他们都不在乎。
On top of that, almost all of them are unruly.
除此之外,几乎所有的孩子上课时都不守规矩,
The only thing they seem to be interested in is games, and the sea.
好像只对游戏和大海感兴趣,
That's why I'm on my way to the beach now.
所以我现在要去海边。
I thought if I could watch them on a Saturday, I might understand them better.
周六在海边观察观察他们,没准能让我更好地了解他们。