你可是要我把对你涌起的恩情,
And wilt thou have me fashion into speech
形之于言词,而且还觉得十分充裕;
The love I bear thee, finding words enough,
不管有多猛的风,高举起火炬,
And hold the torch out, while the winds are rough
让光辉,从两张脸儿间,把我俩照明?
Between our faces, to cast light on each? --
我却把它掉在你脚边,没法命令
I drop it thy feet. I cannot teach
我的手托着我的心灵,那么远距
My hands to hold my spirit so far off
自己;难道我就能借文字作契据,
From myself ... me ... that I should bring thee proof
掏给你看、那无从抵达的爱情
In words, of love hid in me out of reach.
在我的心坎?不,我宁愿表达
Nay, let the silence of my womanhood
女性的爱凭她的贞静,而换来
command my woman-love to thy belief, --
你的谅解--看见我终不曾软化,
Seeing that I stand unwon, however wooed,
任你怎样地央求,我只是咬紧着嘴,
And rend the garment of my life, in brief,
狠心撕裂着生命的衣裙;生怕
By a most dauntless, voiceless fortitude,
这颗心一经接触,就泄露了悲哀。
Lest one touch of this heart convey its grief.
vt. 传达,表达,运输,转移
vt.