A New Newspaper
一份新的报纸
Soon after the term started, some Grade Eight students at Mayfield school wanted to publish a newspaper.
新学期开学不久,梅菲尔德学校几个八年级的学生想创办一份报纸。
They held a meeting.
他们开了一个会。
Later, Arthur wrote this report about their meeting for the headmaster.
后来,亚瑟给校长写了一份关于会议的报告。
We held a meeting after school.
我们放学后开了一个会。
Pansy, Tony, Joyce, Millie and I were at the meeting.
潘西,托尼,乔伊斯,米莉和我参加了会议。
First, we decided to elect the chief editor.
首先,我们决定选出一位主编。
Tony suggested that we should choose Joyce, because she has experience.
托尼提议选乔伊斯,因为她有经验。
She was editor of her class newspaper last year. Then we all voted for her.
她去年是她们班报的编辑。我们一致选她。
We elected Joyce to be the chief editor.
我们选乔伊斯为主编。
Then Joyce took charge of the meeting.
随后乔伊斯主持会议。
She said that we ought to elect a secretary next.
她说下面我们需要选一位秘书。
She asked for suggestions.
她向大家征求意见。
Millie suggested me, because I had experience too.
米莉提议选我,因为我也有秘书经验。
I was secretary of the Reading club last year.
我去年是阅读俱乐部的秘书。
Then the others voted for me, and I was elected to be the secretary.
其他人也选我,我就当选为秘书。
I started taking notes.
我开始进行会议记录。
Joyce said that the other three would be editors of the paper.
乔伊斯说其他三人是报纸的编辑。
They would be responsible for different sections of the paper.
他们分别负责不同的版块。
Pansy asked which sections they would have.
潘西问谁应该负责哪个版。
Joyce told them to talk it over among themselves, and said we would decide at the next meeting.
乔伊斯让他们自己讨论,并说我们在下一次会议上决定。
Then we made a list of some other things we should discuss.
接着我们就需要讨论的其他事项做了列表。
For example, how often should we publish the paper?
例如,我们的报纸多长时间出一期?
Should it be free to readers, or should they pay for it?
它应该对读者免费呢,还是读者应该付费?
What should we call it?
我们给它取个什么名字?
We considered the last question briefly.
我们就最后一个问题简短的讨论了一下。
Pansy asked whether we could call it the Mayfield Sun.
潘西问我们是否应叫它梅菲尔德太阳报。
Millie suggested the Mayfield Mirror or the Mayfield Star.
米莉建议叫它梅菲尔德镜报或梅菲尔德明星报。
We all had different ideas, and so Joyce said that we should think about this a bit longer.
我们各持己见,因此乔伊斯说我们应该多留点时间来考虑这个问题。
We would make a decision about the name at the next meeting.
我们要在下次会议上决定我们的报纸名称。
We agreed to conclude the meeting then.
然后我们同意休会。
We arranged to have the next meeting in one week's time.
我们安排一周后再次开会。