水的谈话
Daisy was in the bathroom.
戴西在浴室里。
She was brushing her teeth and the tap was on.
她正在刷牙,水龙头开着。
Water was pouring into the washbasin and vanishing down the drain.
水流进洗脸盆,接着消失在下水道里。
"Turn that tap off," a voice said loudly.
“关掉水龙头,”一个声音大声说。
Daisy froze. She looked round, but saw no one.
戴西吓的全身发冷,她往四周看看,但没看见人。
"Turn that tap off. You're wasting water!" the voice sounded impatient.
“关掉水龙头,你在浪费水,”那个声音听起来不耐烦了。
This time Daisy obeyed.
这次戴西照做了。
"Who ... who are you?" Daisy's voice was faint.
“你……你是谁?”戴西的声音很微弱。
"I'm a drop of water. It's not easy for me to get here.
“我是一滴水。我到这儿来可不容易。
Do you know where I'm from?"
你知道我从哪儿来的吗?”
"From the tap, I suppose," said Daisy.
“从水龙头里来,我想。”
"Yes, but before that?" Water said.
“是的,但是那之前呢?”水说道。
"a few days ago, I was floating comfortably in a cloud in Jiangxi, enjoying the view.
“几天前,我还在江西上空的一片云里舒服的飘着,欣赏着风景。
Then the cloud dropped me into a stream and I sped down the mountain into the Yangtze River.
后来那片云把我滴到小溪中,我顺着山流下来到了长江。
The Yangtze River carried me to a lake.
长江又带着我到了湖里。
I relaxed there for a few days, and then I travelled a long way and ran into the Huangpu River.
我在那儿休息了几天,后来我旅行了很长一段路程,来到黄浦江。
Then it was time to get cleaned up."
接下来就到了清洁的时间了。”
"Cleaned up?" Daisy sounded puzzled.
“清洁?”戴西听起来很迷惑。
"Yes. I was dirty after my journey so they took me to a water treatment works.
“是的。在旅行之后我很脏,所以他们把我带到污水处理厂。
They gave me a thorough cleaning and added a few chemicals to me.
他们把我彻底清洁,还给我加入几种化学药品。
Then I travelled in the pipes under the streets.
然后我就在路面下的管道里穿行。
I waited there until you called me, and here I am."
我在那儿等着,一直到你叫我,我就到这儿了。”
Daisy said, "So this is the end of your journey."
戴西说:“这就是你旅行的终点吗?”
"No. When you've finished with me, I'll go to a sewage plant.
“不。等你用完我之后,我会去污水处理厂。
Then they'll pump me into the river and I'll be back in the sea again."
然后他们会把我用泵抽到河里,我就可以又回到海里了。”
"Again?" "Yes. That's where I came from in the first place.
“又回去?”“是的。那是我最初来的地方。
Remember not to waste me or pollute me.
记住不要浪费或污染我。
I'm precious, like liquid gold. See you."
我很珍贵,就像液体黄金。再见。”
"Wait a minute. What do you mean by liquid gold?"
“等一下。你说的液体黄金是什么意思?”
But there was no reply. The water had gone.
但是没有回答。水已经走了。
Daisy came out of the bathroom.
戴西从浴室出来。
Her brother said, "Who were you talking to?"
她弟弟问:“你在跟谁说话?”
"I was talking to the water." Daisy said.
“我在跟水说话。”戴西说。
"Sometimes you're strange, Daisy," her brother said.
“有时你很奇怪,戴西。”她弟弟说。