POLLUTION FIGHTERS
防污卫士
Judy is collecting some facts for a class project on pollution.
朱迪在为班级一项关于污染的课题收集资料。
She is interviewing Doctor Ray, a scientist, about trees.
她正在就有关“树木”的问题采访一位科学家——雷博士。
Why are you so interested in trees, Doctor Ray?
雷博士,你为什么对树如此感兴趣?
They're the biggest and oldest living things on the Earth, Judy.
它们是地球上最大、最古老的生物,朱迪。
Yes, but what good are trees?
是的,但是树木的好处是什么?
They make streets more beautiful and less noisy, but what else can they do?
它们使街道变得更美、更安静,但它们还能做什么?
Well, the wood in your pencil, the rubber on the end of your pencil,
嗯,你铅笔上的木头,你铅笔末端的橡皮,
the paper in your notebook and the fruit in your bowl all come from trees!
你笔记本上的纸以及你碗里的水果都来自于树!
And, I suppose you also enjoy breathing pure, cool air. Of course.
还有,我想你也喜欢呼吸干净清凉的空气吧。当然了。
Then you must thank trees for that too.
那么你也得因此而感谢树了。
They take harmful gases from the air, and release oxygen back into the air.
它们吸取空气中的有害气体,把氧气释放回空气中。
How many people are there in your class, Judy? Forty-six.
朱迪,你班里有多少人?四十六个。
Well, one and a half hectares of trees could produce enough oxygen
嗯,1.5公顷的树木产生的氧气,
to keep your whole class alive and healthy for a whole year.
足够供你们一个班的学生健康地生活一整年。
That's wonderful! Trees cool the air as well as clean it.
太棒了!树木除了净化空气外,还能使空气凉爽。
They are natural air conditioners.
他们是天然的空调。
Three trees can do the job of 15 air conditioners running almost all day.
三棵树所能产生的降温作用相当于十五台空调运转一整天。
You certainly know a lot about trees, Doctor Ray.
雷博士,你对树木了解的可真多。
Thank you, Judy, but I don't, really.
谢谢夸奖,朱迪,但事实上我不是很了解。
Scientists are only now beginning to understand them.
科学家们现在还只是刚开始了解它们。
For example, when insects attack a tree, it can warn its neighbours.
例如,当昆虫袭击树木时,它可以给它的邻居发出警告。
The trees can then protect themselves by producing a chemical that makes their leaves taste nasty.
树木能够产生一种化学物质使其叶子变得很难吃,从而达到保护它们自己不被吞噬的目的。
And some trees can join their roots together underground,
树木能在地下通过根部连接,
and pass food and water to each other.
相互传递养料和水分。
Trees are communicating with one another, but we don't know how.
树木之间能相互交流,但我们不了解这是如何进行的。
Are trees in danger? In great danger.
树木处于危险中了吗?非常危险。
We cut down and burn millions every year, but we replace hardly any of them.
我们每年砍伐并烧毁数以百万计的树木,却几乎不予补种。
We are destroying our best fighters against pollution.
我们正在摧毁最好的环保卫士。