The funny side of police work
警务的趣味性
Paula wanted to write an article about the funny side of police work for her school newspaper.
保拉想给校报写一篇有关警务趣味一面的文章。
She interviewed Detective Smith and he told her these stories.
她采访了史密斯警探,他给保拉讲了以下这些故事。
Story A
故事A
I remember arresting a 'thief' in a clothes shop once. It was a strange case.
我记得曾经在一家服装店逮捕了一个“小偷”。
The man was hiding a yellow sweater inside his coat.
这个人把黄色的毛衣藏在外套里面。
I thought he had stolen it, so I arrested him.
我当时认为他偷了这件毛衣,所以就逮捕了他。
We found out later that his wife gave him the sweater for his birthday, but he hated it.
我们后来才得知,这件毛衣是他妻子送给他的生日礼物,可是他不喜欢。
He just wanted to return it to the shop for a refund, but he didn't want his wife to see him!
他只是想到商店来退货,而不想让他妻子发现!
We soon released him.
很快,我们就把他释放了。
Story B
故事B
One day, when I was working in Candy Town, a man robbed a bank on the Sixth Street.
一天,我在坎迪镇巡逻时,有人在第六街抢劫。
He wrote on the back of an envelope,
他在信封背面写道:
'This is a robbery. Give me money!' and gave it to the teller.
“这是一起抢劫案,把钱给我!”然后把信交给出纳员。
She gave him $100,000, and the man ran away.
她给了他10万美金,这个人就离开了。
Then we received a phone call from the teller.
随后,我们接到出纳员的电话。
She told us to go to the man's flat in Candy Town and get him.
她要我们到这个人在坎迪镇的公寓去逮捕他。
We arrested him as soon as he got out of the lift.
他一出电梯,我们就逮捕了他。
He admitted that he had robbed the bank,
他承认他抢劫了银行,
but he couldn't believe that we found him so quickly.
但是想不到的是我们很快就找到了他。
We told him that the front of the envelope he used in the robbery had his name and address on it!
我们告诉他,他在抢劫时把名字和地址写在信封的正面了!
Story C
故事
I once read a funny story about a man from Australia.
我曾经读到一篇有关一个澳大利亚人的有趣故事。
He was trying to smuggle some rare birds from Thailand into Australia.
他试图把珍禽从泰国偷运到澳大利亚。
He hid the birds inside a special pocket in his trousers.
他把珍禽藏在裤子里的特制口袋里。
But as he was going through customs, the birds started to sing!
但是当他出关时,珍禽就唱歌了!