v.重新开始,继续; (使)更新,恢复;延长(…的)有效期
Remember to renew the books if you can't finish them on time.
如果你不能按时读完这些书,记得要去图书馆续借。
vt.解决,解答;决定,决意;(into)分解 vi.决定,决意 n. 决心,决意
Many students resolve on studying (=resolve to study) abroad after graduation.
许多大学生都决定毕业后出国留学。
vt.恢复,使回复; 修复,整修;归还,交还
It's hard to restore a broken mirror.
破镜难圆。
I feel quite restored (to health) after my holiday.
休假后我感到恢复了健康。
n.竞争对手,敌手;可与匹敌的人(或事物)a.竞争的,对抗的 vt. 与…竞争;与…匹敌,比得上
The poet Homer believed that no mortal could rival Zeus.
诗人荷马认为没有凡人能与宙斯匹敌。
a.粗鲁的,不礼貌的;粗糙的,粗陋的
Some people look upon American young men as brash, immodest, rude, and possessing no proper respect for parents or elder siblings.
有的人认为美国的年轻人无礼、傲慢、粗鲁,对父母和哥哥姐姐没有应有的尊重。
a.老于世故的,老练的,精通的;精密的,尖端的,复杂的;高雅的,有教养的
Most politicians are very sophisticated.
大部分的政客都非常老练。
The inner system of a spaceship is rather sophisticated.
宇宙飞船的内部系统相当精密复杂。
vi.(about, on)推测,推断;投机,做投机买卖 vt. 推测,推断
This detective story is boring, because you can speculate (about) the ending in the beginning.
这个侦探故事很没意思,因为刚开始看你就能推断出它的结局。
vi.伸展,延伸,延续 vt. 拉长,伸展;使倾注全力 n. 一段时间,一段路程,连绵的一片;伸展,延伸,延续
I stretched to relax after working for a whole day.
工作了一整天,我伸了个懒腰放松一下。
Having been washed, the sweater was stretched out of shape.
洗过以后,这件毛衣被拉长变了形。
Can you work (for) eight hours at a stretch?
你能连续工作8小时吗?
n.剩余,过剩,盈余 a. 过剩的,多余的
Brazil has a big surplus of coffee.
巴西有大量过剩的咖啡。
Karl Marx initiated the theory of Surplus Value in 1840.
1840年,卡尔·马克思首先提出了他的剩余价值理论。
a.同情的,体谅的; (to)赞同的,支持的;和谐的,合意的
I feel sympathetic to what happened to you, but I could do nothing to fix your problem.
对你发生的事情我很同情, 但我真是爱莫能助。
We work best in a sympathetic atmosphere.
我们在一种和谐的气氛中工作效率最佳。
I am not at all sympathetic to the project.
我根本不赞成该项计划。
n.同情,同情心; (思想感情上的)支持,赞同
We should have sympathy for people in difficulty.
我们对处于困境中的人们要有同情心。
vt.对付,处理;与…交涉;(足球比赛中)阻截,擒抱 n. 阻截,擒抱;用具,钓具;轱辘,滑车(组)
The police spent a long time tackling the hacker who ruined the network.
警方花了很长时间对付那个毁坏了电脑网络的黑客。
People with strong social ties appear better able to tackle major life changes and daily hassles.
拥有良好社会关系的人们似乎能够更好地应付生活的重大变化和日常困难。
a.未被占用的,空着的;(职位、工作等)空缺的;(神情等)茫然的,(心灵)空虚的
It's hard to find a vacant post with such a high unemployment rate nowadays.
现在失业率那么高,很难找到空缺的职位。
Is the lavatory vacant?
厕所没有人用吧?