count:从鸭子数起
In childhood, we count ducks.
小时侯,我们数鸭子。(不幸的是,经常搞成一三五九十)
In majority, we count money.
长大了,我们数钱。(不幸的是,要么是数不完,要么是还没数就完了)
When money grows to a certain degree, we go to the bank and open an account, entitling the bank clerks to count money for us.
当钱增长到一定程度,我们去银行开了帐户,让银行职员帮我们数钱。
It seems obvious that count and account are closely related.
Count与account两词实为近亲,似乎很明显。
At times, we visited the bank, requiring the bank clerks to make an account of incomes and expenditures.
时不时的,我们还得拜访一下银行,要求银行职员陈述一下我们的收入和开支情况。
小结:count-数;account-帐户/陈述
If you give a beggar 5 cents, you don't take it into account.
若你施予一个乞丐五分钱,你不会怎么考虑这笔帐(不会把它记入帐户)。
If you aim at big, you don't take small into account.
若你目标在于干大事,则不会把小节考虑进来。
小结:take...into account由“把……记入帐户”引申成“把……考虑进去”
What accounts for the loss of money in the account?
是什么导致了帐户里的财富缩水?
It accounts for half of the original amount.
它占了原总量的一半。
小结:account for-导致(一般是);占(后跟比率)
design: 签名很重要,所以要设计
见识一下内含的词sign:
In terms of economy, GDP has been regarded a significant sign.(significant若忘了请回去复习)
就经济而言,人们一直将GDP视为一个重要符号(标志)。
The current situation shows no signs of recovery.
眼下的情形未表现出任何复苏的迹象。
In terms of human beings, signature has been considered by many as an essential sign for their taste. (essential也忘了?跟上面significant在同一个地方讲的,回去吧!)
就一个人而言,许多人将签名视为他们品味的重要标志。
Hence the popularity of signature design.
因此就有了签名设计之风行(注意:Hence A=因此就有了A,hence领衔的无谓语特殊句型)。
小结:sign, signature, significant实为一家,就让design也来凑个热闹吧。