手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 在线广播 > VOA慢速英语 > VOA慢速-词汇掌故 > 正文

“out of the gate”是指什么?

来源:可可英语 编辑:Wendy   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

And now, Words and Their Stories from VOA Learning English.

欢迎收听VOA慢速英语词汇掌故节目。

At the start of this program, we usually share the expression or idiom we are going to talk about.

节目的开始,我们通常分享我们将要谈论的短语或习语。

We do this right out of the gate so that listeners know what to expect.

我们开门见山,这样听众就知道要讲什么。

Out of the gate means the very start of something -- like an audio program!

“Out of the gate ”意思是某种事物的开始--比如一个音频节目!

Some people are really good at starting things.

有些人真的很擅长开始着手准备。

Whether it is planning a fun family reunion or a serious work-related project, they are strong right out of the gate.

无论是计划一个有趣的家庭团聚,还是一个严肃的工作相关项目,他们都非常干脆直接的跨过那道坎。

Other people may be slow out of the gate.

其他人可能会慢慢地走出大门。

They take their time getting started, but they may be strong finishers.

他们从容不迫地开始,但他们可能是强有力的终结者。

So, out of the gate means the very of beginning of something.

因此,“out of the gate”意为某事的开始。

We can also say at the outset.

我们也可以这样说。

Here is an example.

这里有一个例子。

As soon as I signed up for an online class, I had trouble with technology.

我一报名参加在线课程,就遇到了技术方面的问题。

I couldn’t get logged in.

我无法登录。

I forgot my password.

我忘记了我的密码。

And then my computer crashed.

然后我的电脑死机了。

I had so many technical issues right out of the gate!

我刚开始就有这么多的技术问题!

I had problems at the outset or at the very beginning of the class.

我在课程一开始或刚开始的时候遇到了一些问题。

This expression comes from sports or activities that involve holding animals behind a gate until it is time to start.

这个表达来自于运动或活动,包括把动物抱在门后,直到比赛开始。

With horse racing, dog racing, and bull-riding, the animals all wait behind a gate.

在赛马、赛狗和骑牛的活动中,所有的动物都在大门后等待。

When I was a child, my parents often took me to horse races.

当我还是个孩子的时候,我父母经常带我去看赛马。

The horses were behind a gate as they waited to start the race.

当等待比赛开始时,马匹都在一扇门后面。

As soon as they were out of the gate, the race had started!

马匹一走出大门,比赛就开始了!

That’s also when my parents would start yelling.

那也是我父母开始大喊大叫的时候。

Right out of the gate, they would yell for their horse to win.

一出大门,他们就会喊着让他们的马获胜。

In English, we have other similar expressions.

在英语中,我们还有其他类似的表达方式。

Word experts say that the expression right off the bat is from baseball, cricket, or another sport where a bat is involved.

词汇专家说,“right off the bat ”这个短语来自棒球、板球或其他涉及球棒的运动。

The batter hits the ball, the ball is in play and the actions of the other players begin.

击球手击球,球在比赛中,其他球员的行动开始。

They are, more or less, waiting for that ball to be hit before they have something to do.

他们或多或少地在等待那个球被击中,然后才开始行动。

So, if something happens right off the bat, it happens as soon as something starts.

所以,如果一件事“right off the bat ”,那么事情一开始就会发生。

Another similar expression is from the get-go.

另一个类似的表达是“ from the get-go”。

When we say from the get-go, we are also talking about the start of something.

当我们说从一开始,我们也在谈论某事的开始。

Here’s an example using that one.

下面是一个使用该示例的示例。

Let’s say you start a new job.

比方说你开始了一份新工作。

It’s important to make a good first impression from the get-go.

从一开始就给人留下良好的第一印象是很重要的。

On your first day, you want to be on time and ready to work.

在你上班的第一天,你想要准时打卡并且开始工作。

As we like to say, you don’t get a second chance to make a first impression.

正如我们常说的,你不会有第二次机会来给人留下第一印象。

And that’s all the time we have for this Words and Their Stories.

这就是我们今天的词汇掌故节目。

Until next time ... I’m Anna Matteo.

下次见..我是安娜·马泰奥。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
yell [jel]

想一想再看

v. 大叫
n. 大喊

 
outset ['autset]

想一想再看

n. 开始,开端

联想记忆
impression [im'preʃən]

想一想再看

n. 印象,效果

联想记忆
involve [in'vɔlv]

想一想再看

vt. 包含,使陷入,使忙于,使卷入,牵涉

联想记忆
technical ['teknikəl]

想一想再看

adj. 技术的,工艺的

 
baseball ['beis.bɔ:l]

想一想再看

n. 棒球

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。