手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 在线广播 > VOA慢速英语 > VOA慢速-词汇掌故 > 正文

有关“手”的表达

来源:可可英语 编辑:Wendy   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

And now, Words and Their Stories, from VOA Learning English.

欢迎收听本期的VOA词汇掌故节目。

Every day, we do countless things with our hands.

每天,我们用我们的双手做着无数的事情。

So, it's not surprising that we have many "hand" expressions that describe how we do something.

因此,我们有很多 有关"手 "的表达方式来描述我们如何做某事也就不足为奇了。

These hand expressions could be called handy ...Meaning they are useful.

这些有关“手”的表达可以说是方便的(handy)...这意味着它们很有用。

When we do something with our bare hands, we do it on our own, usually with much effort.

当我们徒手做某事时( with our bare hands),我们通常是靠自己,需要费很大力气。

When we use this expression, we are expressing pride in something we have done.

当我们使用这个短语时,我们是在表达对我们所做的事情的自豪。

For example, let's say I decided to build my own gardening shed -- a small outdoor building for gardening supplies.

例如,假设我决定建造自己的园艺棚--一座放置园艺用品的小型室外建筑。

It was hard work and took me days to finish.

这是一项艰苦的工作,我花了几天时间才完成。

But at the end of the project, I could proudly say that I built it with my own bare hands.

但在项目结束时,我可以自豪地说我亲手建造的。

Feeling proud and finishing a big project go hand in hand.

自豪感和完成一个大项目是相辅相成的。

They go together!

这两件事是一起发生的!

(Firm hand = strict )Let's say you are asked to lead a project.

(Firm hand = 严格)比方说你被要求领导一个项目。

You want it to be successful.

你希望能成功。

You want it to be on time and on budget.

你想准时完成并且不超过预算。

So, you lead with a firm hand.

所以,你要坚定地领导。

If you lead with a firm hand, you are strict.

如果你坚定地领导,你就是严格的。

You follow all the rules closely.

你要严格遵守所有的规则。

You don't let jokes or laziness affect your team's progress.

你不会让玩笑或懒惰影响你团队的进步。

Teachers can teach with a firm hand.

教师可以从严从教。

And parents can parent with a firm hand, too.

父母也可以严格地教育子女。

Having a firm hand and being strict go hand in hand.

严格地做事情和严格要求是并行不悖的。

(Heavy hand = oppressive )A firm hand is not the same as a heavy hand.

(Heavy hand = 压迫)严格不同于采取高压手段。

If a person or organization has a heavy hand, they use a lot of force or power to control people and events.

如果一个人或组织采取高压手段,他们就会使用大量的武力或权力来控制人和事。

A heavy hand is often considered a bad thing.

采取高压手段通常被认为是一件坏事。

When you deal with a situation with a heavy hand, you could be seen as oppressive.

当你用高压手段处理情况时,你可能会被认为是在施加压力。

Someone who is heavy-handed is severe or harsh when dealing with others or when dealing with a situation.

采取高压手段的人在与他人打交道或处理情况时是严肃或严厉的。

Sometimes we call this an iron hand or even an iron fist.

有时我们称之为铁手,甚至是铁腕。

A fist is a closed hand that is used for hitting.

拳头是用来击打的紧握的手。

(High-handed = arrogant & condescending ) Now, what kind of person has a high hand?

(High-handed = 傲慢无礼 ) 现在,什么样的人会高高在上?

Someone who has a high hand is domineering.

占上风的人是专横的。

They like to be in control.

他们喜欢控制局面。

They are bossy.

他们很霸道。

Sometimes we use the adjective high-handed.

有时我们用形容词 high-handed(专横的)。

High-handed people do not consider the rights, concerns, thoughts, or feelings of others.

专横的人不考虑他人的权利、关切、想法或感受。

They look down on people.

他们看不起人。

In other words, they are arrogant and condescending.

换句话说,他们傲慢而居高临下。

Hand expressions can also describe our involvement in a situation.

用手相关的表达也可以用来描述我们所处的情况。

Let's look at a couple examples.

让我们来看几个例子。

A friend of yours asks you to find a manager for her company.

你的一位朋友让你为她的公司找一位经理。

But you don't know anyone who fits the job description.

但你不知道有谁符合这份工作的描述。

So, you don't suggest anyone.

所以,你没有建议任何人。

You don't have a hand in the selection.

你不能参与选拔。

If you have a hand in something, you have helped to make it happen.

如果你参与了某件事,你就帮助事情发生。

Your friend was able to find someone for the job through another person – someone you know.

你的朋友通过另一个人--你认识的人--找到了这份工作的人选。

Let's call him Bob.

我们叫他鲍勃吧。

You know Bob, and you don't trust Bob.

你了解鲍勃,但你不信任鲍勃。

So, you warn your friend.

所以,你警告你的朋友。

But they don't take the warning seriously.

但他们并不把这一警告当真。

In the end, Bob is a terrible choice.

最终,鲍勃是个糟糕的选择。

He steals a lot of money from your friend's company.

他从你朋友的公司偷了很多钱。

Your friend is furious!

你的朋友大发雷霆!

And you feel bad.

你会感觉很糟糕。

(Clean hands = innocent)But in this matter, your hands are clean.

(Clean hands = 无辜)但在这件事上,你是无辜的。

You did nothing wrong.

你没做错什么。

In fact, you tried to warn your friend.

事实上,你试着警告你的朋友。

We use this expression to state innocence in a bad situation.

我们用这个短语来表示在糟糕的情况下是无辜的。

Here's another example.

这有另一个例子。

Let's say you are babysitting some children.

比方说你在照看一些孩子。

They want to make a cake.

他们想做一个蛋糕。

And they make a total mess in the kitchen.

然后把厨房弄得一团糟。

Flour, sugar, and broken eggs are everywhere.

面粉、糖和碎鸡蛋随处可见。

When their parents come home and see the mess, you can say you did not have a hand in it.

当他们的父母回家看到一团糟的时候,你可以说你没有参与其中。

The kids did it all.

这些都是孩子们做的。

All you did was turn on the oven.

你所做的就是打开烤箱。

Maybe these kids do this every time you watch them.

也许你每次看这些孩子都会这样。

You are tired of it – even though they do make tasty cake.

你已经厌倦了--即使他们做的蛋糕很好吃。

So, you throw your hands up!

所以,你把手举起来( throw your hands up)!

When you throw your hands up, you are tired of fighting something.

当你举起你的手时,你已经厌倦了战斗。

It is a sign that you give up.

这是你放弃的信号。

A good word that describes this feeling is exasperation.

描述这种感觉的一个贴切的词是恼羞成怒。

People who are exasperated are tired of something, and they often throw their hands in the air.

被激怒的人对某事感到厌倦,他们经常把手举在空中。

And that's the end of this Words and Their Stories.

这就是本期的词汇掌故。

Until next time, I'm Anna Matteo.

下次见,我是安娜·马泰奥。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
control [kən'trəul]

想一想再看

n. 克制,控制,管制,操作装置
vt. 控制

 
arrogant ['ærəgənt]

想一想再看

adj. 傲慢的,自大的

联想记忆
tasty ['teisti]

想一想再看

adj. 好吃的

联想记忆
strict [strikt]

想一想再看

adj. 严格的,精确的,完全的

 
budget ['bʌdʒit]

想一想再看

n. 预算
vt. 编预算,为 ... 做预算

 
severe [si'viə]

想一想再看

adj. 剧烈的,严重的,严峻的,严厉的,严格的

联想记忆
harsh [hɑ:ʃ]

想一想再看

adj. 粗糙的,使人不舒服的,刺耳的,严厉的,大约的

 
exasperation [ig.zɑ:spə'reiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 恼怒,激怒

 
affect [ə'fekt]

想一想再看

vt. 影响,作用,感动

联想记忆
pride [praid]

想一想再看

n. 自豪,骄傲,引以自豪的东西,自尊心
vt

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。