The pentagon's budgets more than China, India, Russia, United Kingdom,
美国国防部的预算超过了中国、印度、俄罗斯、英国、
Saudi Arabia, Germany, France, Japan and South Korea combined.
沙特阿拉伯、德国、法国、日本和韩国的预算总和。
We give our military almost a trillion dollars a year
我们每年向我们的军队提供近1万亿美元,
so where does the money go?
那么这些钱去了哪里?
Well the answer is we don't know.
答案是,我们不知道。
And neither does the Pentagon.
美国国防部也不知道。
The deputy, defense secretary Lloyd Austin's number two
国防部长劳埃德·奥斯汀的副手
was asked about this by comedian Jon Stewart
被喜剧演员乔恩·斯图尔特问到了这一点,
and she got all frazzled. Listen.
而她很不耐烦。听下面的片段。
Do you feel like these are unfair questions of
你觉得我问你这些问题很不公平吗?
of somebody within a department of that size and scope?
因为你只是这个大部门里的一个人而已?
I think you have a particular thing you really want to talk about
我觉得你有一件特别想谈的事情,
and you're asking me other questions
但你却在问我其他问题,
but I don't think it's unfair to ask me about the audit.
并不是觉得问我关于审计的问题不公平。
It's absolutely the case of the United States military should be able to pass an audit.
美国军方的确应该通过审计,
And we've got to be on that pathway to get there.
而且我们应该为此付出努力。
But don't you think that that does speak to the larger point
但你不觉得这个问题确实与我们更宏大的主题有关吗?
that we're trying to get at which is good journalism uncovers corruption.
我们一直在趋近这个主题,即好的新闻揭露腐败。
And… Okay I mean good journalism doesn't cover corruption
而且… 好的,我的意思是,好的新闻是应该揭露腐败,
but I'm not sure these two things are linked
但我不确定这两件事有没有联系,
and on it is not… Oh but they are.
而且不是… 哦,但他俩的确有关联。
This is the second most powerful person in Biden's defense department
她是拜登国防部的二把手,
and she's a mess.
但她闪烁其词。
The military almost never gets audited
军方几乎从来没有被审查过,
but when they do they fail with flying colors.
但一旦被审查,就全军覆没。
Our military has only been audited five times ever
我们的军队只接受过五次审计,
and just last year they failed their audit for the fifth time.
就在去年,他们第五次没有通过审计。
The military's winless in audits and undefeated in world wars.
军队被审查时人仰马翻,在战争中却无一败绩。
But we haven't won one of those in a while.
但我们已经有段时间没打赢过了。
Maybe this is why.
也许这就是原因。
The Pentagon told the IRS they couldn't account for over 60 percent of their assets.
美国国防部告诉国税局,他们有60%的资产来路不明。
That means weapons systems, buildings, funding…
这意味着武器系统、建筑、资金……
They either don't know where the money went or they don't want to know.
他们要么不知道钱去了哪里,要么不想知道。
Or they do know where the money went and they don't want us to know.
或者他们知道钱去哪了,但不想让我们知道。
Now what would happen if you told the IRS:
如果你告诉国税局:
Sorry guys I don't really know where more than half my income came from last year.
对不起,伙计们,我真的不知道去年我一半以上的收入来自哪里。
Well it'd probably go something like this.
那情况大概会是这样的。
Do you understand what an audit does
你知道审计是做什么的吗?
and the degree to which it is linked to the question that you're asking?
以及审计与你问的问题有多少关联?
The audit that they have in in the military doesn't really look at
对军队的审查其实并不是看
um whether or not there's efficacy.
资金花得值不值,
It's just whether they got delivered the thing that they ordered and they are…
而是看资金是否换来了订购的东西…
That is that is any audit. That's any audit. That is true.
任何审计都是这样的。的确如此。
But generally those audits aren't 400 billion dollars for Raytheon
但一般来说,审计的不是4000亿美元,
and 1.7 trillion dollars for a plane that doesn't seem to be…
也不是一架1.7万亿美元的飞机,而且…
Like there is a lot of waste, fraud and abuse within a system.
国防体系中似乎有大量浪费资金、欺诈和滥用职权的行为。
Audits, waste fraud and abuse are not the same thing
审计与浪费资金、欺诈、滥用职权不是一回事,
so let's uh decompose these.
所以咱们应该分开讨论两个问题。
Then please educate me on…
那请给我讲讲…
Sure. So an audit is exactly what you just described
当然可以。审计就是你刚才描述的那个样子,
which is do I know what was delivered to which place.
也就是我要调查什么东西被用在了哪里。
Right.
对。
The ability to pass an audit or in a the fact that the DOD has not passed on
国防部没有通过审查,
is not suggestive of waste fraud and abuse.
并不意味着存在浪费资金、欺诈和滥用职权的行为。
So Biden's number two in the defense department is telling us
因此,拜登政府国防部的二把手告诉我们,
not knowing where over half of her budget goes isn't wasteful
解释不清一半以上的预算用在了哪里并不是浪费资金,
and there's no fraud. Nothing to see here.
也不涉及欺诈。总之,这什么都代表不了。
Mini Madoff handles money better than the Pentagon.
小麦道夫处理资金都比五角大楼处理得好。
If I give you a billion dollars and you can't tell me what happened to it that to me is wasteful.
如果我给你十亿美元,而你不能告诉我它被用来干什么了,那对我来说就是浪费。
That that means you are not responsible
这意味着你没有负起责任,
but if you can't tell me where it went then what am I supposed to think
而且如果你不能告诉资金被用来干什么了,那么我应该怎么想,
and when there has been reporting I mean…
而且现在不断有负面报道出现……
This is not… Look, I'm not I'm not saying this is on you
这不是……听着,我不是我不是说这是你的错,
and that you caused this but I think it's it's a tough argument…
是你造成的,但我认为这个观点很难被反驳……
I'm pretty sure what you ask me.
我很确定你问过我什么问题。
And 850 billion dollar budget to an organization that can't pass an audit
给一个组织8500亿美元的预算,但这个组织无法通过审计,
and tell you where that money went. Like…
也不能解释出这些钱去了哪里。
I think most people would consider that somewhere in the realm of waste fraud or abuse
我想大多数人都会觉得是因为存在浪费资金、滥用职权的行为,
because they would wonder why that money isn't well accounted for.
因为他们会想知道为什么这些钱去路不明。
Well we give the government almost a trillion dollars a year to keep us safe
我们每年交给政府近1万亿美元来保护我们的安全,
and they don't know where the money went.
但他们不知道钱花在了哪里。
Someone's getting rich.
反正有人是发财了。
译文由可可原创,仅供学习交流使用,未经许可请勿转载。