They floated down the river, disembarked half a day’s ride from the city, and took Stannis in the rear.”
于是他们合兵一股,顺流而下,在距离君临城半日马程的地方登陆,从后袭击史坦尼斯。”
Catelyn remembered King Renly’s court, as she had seen it at Bitterbridge.
凯特琳在苦桥见过蓝礼国王的队伍。
A thousand golden roses streaming in the wind, Queen Margaery’s shy smile and soft words,
千百朵金玫瑰在风中飞舞,玛格丽王后笑容羞涩、语调温柔,
her brother the Knight of Flowers with the bloody linen around his temples.
她哥哥百花骑士虽然额上缠着亚麻绷带,却英俊不减。
If you had to fall into a woman’s arms, my son, why couldn’t they have been Margaery Tyrell’s?
如果你非得投入女人的怀抱,我的儿子啊,为何不是玛格丽·提利尔?
The wealth and power of Highgarden could have made all the difference in the fighting yet to come.
高庭的财富和军队足以扭转形势,
And perhaps Grey Wind would have liked the smell of her as well.
或许灰风还会喜欢她的味道。
Edmure looked ill.
艾德慕蔫了气,
“I never meant … never, Robb, you must let me make amends.
“我一点也不想……不想……罗柏,你得让我补偿,
I will lead the van in the next battle!”
就准我在下场战役里担任前锋吧!”
For amends, Brother? Or for glory? Catelyn wondered.
这是补偿,弟弟?还是为了荣誉?凯特琳很怀疑。
“The next battle,” Robb said.
“下场战役,”罗柏沉吟道,
“Well, that will be soon enough.
“嗯,下场战役很快就会到来。
Once Joffrey is wed, the Lannisters will take the field against me once more,
乔佛里成亲之后,兰尼斯特就会再次开战,
I don’t doubt, and this time the Tyrells will march beside them.
对此我毫不怀疑,这一回,他们有了提利尔家的支持……
And I may need to fight the Freys as well, if Black Walder has his way …”
也许我还要对付佛雷家,若黑瓦德……
“So long as Theon Greyjoy sits in your father’s seat with your brothers’ blood on his hands, these other foes must wait,”
“席恩·葛雷乔伊坐着你父亲的宝座,手上沾染了你弟弟们的鲜血,除了他,其他敌人都必须先放在一边。”
Catelyn told her son.
凯特琳告诉儿子。
“Your first duty is to defend your own people, win back Winterfell, and hang Theon in a crow’s cage to die slowly.
“领主的首要职责是保护子民,罗柏,你身为国王,要么赢回临冬城,把席恩吊在鸦笼里,让他慢慢烂掉;
Or else put off that crown for good, Robb, for men will know that you are no true king at all.”
要么就永远放弃王冠——因为人们将不会把你当成真正的国王。”
From the way Robb looked at her, she could tell that it had been a long while since anyone had dared speak to him so bluntly.
从罗柏瞧她的神情来看,她断定,已经很久没有人敢如此坦率直言了。
“When they told me Winterfell had fallen, I wanted to go north at once,”
“他们告诉我临冬城陷落时,我首先想到的就是返回北方,”
he said, with a hint of defensiveness.
他带着一丝辩解的意味道。
“I wanted to free Bran and Rickon, but I thought … I never dreamed that Theon could harm them, truly.
“我想去营救布兰和瑞肯,但我以为……我做梦也想不到席恩会伤害他们,真的,
If I had …”
如果我……”
“It is too late for ifs, and too late for rescues,” Catelyn said.
“说‘如果’已太晚,要营救也太迟,”凯特琳说,
“All that remains is vengeance.”
“剩下的只有复仇。”
“The last word we had from the north, Ser Rodrik had defeated a force of ironmen near Torrhen’s Square,
“根据从北境得到的最新消息,罗德利克爵士在托伦方城附近击败了铁群岛的部队,
and was assembling a host at Castle Cerwyn to retake Winterfell,” said Robb.
然后于赛文城重新整军,准备夺回临冬城。”罗柏道。
“By now he may have done it.
“他或许已经成功了,
There has been no news for a long time.
因为我们很久没有收到进一步的消息。
And what of the Trident, if I turn north?
退一步讲,假如我回师北上,三河地区怎么办?
I can’t ask the river lords to abandon their own people.”
我不可能要求三河诸侯遗弃人民随我出征啊。”
“No,” said Catelyn.
“不,”凯特琳说,
“Leave them to guard their own, and win back the north with northmen.”
“把他们留下,让他们自己管自己,我们靠北地人赢回北境。”
“How will you get the northmen to the north?” her brother Edmure asked.
“您的北地人如何去得了北境?”弟弟艾德慕反问,
“The ironmen control the sunset sea.
“铁群岛方面不仅控制了落日之海,
The Greyjoys hold Moat Cailin as well.
而且占领了卡林湾。
No army has ever taken Moat Cailin from the south.
一万年来,没有一支军队能从南面攻下卡林湾,
Even to march against it is madness.
即便朝那里进军也是疯狂之举。
We could be trapped on the causeway, with the ironborn before us and angry Freys at our backs.”
我们很可能被困在堤道上,铁民在前,愤怒的佛雷家族在后。”
“We must win back the Freys,” said Robb.
“所以必须赢回佛雷家族,”罗柏说,
“With them, we still have some chance of success, however small.
“有了他们,才有成功的机会——不管机会多么渺茫;
Without them, I see no hope.
没有他们的支持,我看不到希望。
I am willing to give Lord Walder whatever he requires … apologies, honors, lands, gold …
我愿向瓦德侯爵提出一切……道歉,荣誉,土地,金钱……
there must be something that would soothe his pride …”
一定有东西可以抚平他受创的自尊心……”
“Not something,” said Catelyn.
“东西办不到,”凯特琳道,
“Someone.”
“但人可以。”