So swiftly did the Hands rise and fall that Jaime remembered their heraldry better than their faces.
父亲走后,连着有四位短命的首相,来来去去,
The horn-of-plenty Hand and the dancing griffins Hand had both been exiled, the mace-and-dagger Hand dipped in wildfire and burned alive.
以至于詹姆记住了他们的纹章,却对他们的面孔毫无印象。
Lord Rossart had been the last.
巨号首相和狮鹫首相遭到流放,
His sigil had been a burning torch;
锤子与匕首阁下被浸进野火,活活烧死,
an unfortunate choice, given the fate of his predecessor,
最后一个是罗萨特伯爵,国王赐予他燃烧火炬的纹章,
but the alchemist had been elevated largely because he shared the king’s passion for fire.
以暗示前任的命运。火术士是国王昏庸的根源之一。
I ought to have drowned Rossart instead of gutting him.
我该淹死罗萨特而非戳死这恶棍。
Brienne was still awaiting his answer.
布蕾妮还在等待他的回答。
Jaime said, “You are not old enough to have known Aerys Targaryen …”
詹姆缓缓地说:“当年你太小,不明白伊里斯·坦格利安……”
She would not hear it.
这不是她期待的答案。
“Aerys was mad and cruel, no one has ever denied that.
“伊利斯既疯狂又残暴,天下人人皆知。
He was still king, crowned and anointed.
但他是你的君主,涂抹七圣油的国王,
And you had sworn to protect him.”
你发誓为他献身。”
“I know what I swore.”
“我记得自己发过的誓言。”
“And what you did.”
“你也记得自己做过什么?”
She loomed above him, six feet of freckled, frowning, horse-toothed disapproval.
她站起来,足有六尺高,满脸的雀斑、皱紧的眉头和暴露的马牙上都写满不屑。
“Yes, and what you did as well.
“没错,我记得清清楚楚,
We’re both kingslayers here, if what I’ve heard is true.”
我还记得你做过什么。如果传言非虚,这儿有两位弑君者。”
“I never harmed Renly.
“蓝礼不是我害的。
I’ll kill the man who says I did.”
谁敢造谣,我就杀了谁!”
“Best start with Cleos, then.
“请便,请从克里奥开始。
And you’ll have a deal of killing to do after that, the way he tells the tale.”
接下来你的工作还很艰巨,依他的说法,知道这事的人数不胜数。”
“Lies.
“那是谎言!
Lady Catelyn was there when His Grace was murdered, she saw.
陛下遇害时凯特琳夫人在场,
There was a shadow.
她亲眼看见一道阴影。
The candles guttered and the air grew cold, and there was blood—”
蜡烛摇晃,空气变冷,然后是血——”
“Oh, very good.” Jaime laughed.
“噢,太棒了。”詹姆哈哈大笑。
“Your wits are quicker than mine, I confess it.
“不得不承认,你反应倒比我快。
When they found me standing over my dead king, I never thought to say,
当他们发现我站在君主的尸体前面时,我可没说:
‘No, no, it wasn’t me, it was a shadow, a terrible cold shadow.’ ”
‘不,不,这不是我干的,是一道阴影,一个可怕的冰冷的影子杀手。’”
He laughed again.
他长笑不止。
“Tell me true, one kingslayer to another—did the Starks pay you to slit his throat, or was it Stannis?
“告诉我实话,弑君者之间不该有秘密,到底是史塔克家还是史坦尼斯收买你去割蓝礼的喉咙?
Had Renly spurned you, was that the way of it?
莫非蓝礼拒绝你的求爱?
Or perhaps your moon’s blood was on you.
还是你那个来了?
Never give a wench a sword when she’s bleeding.”
千万别在女人腿上流血时把刀子塞给她呀。”
For a moment Jaime thought Brienne might strike him.
他以为妞儿就会动手。
A step closer, and I’ll snatch that dagger from her sheath and bury it up her womb.
来啊,上来一步,让我抓住你腰带上的匕首,一刀结果你。
He gathered a leg under him, ready to spring, but the wench did not move.
他把一条腿收到身下,准备起跳,可妞儿终究没有动。
“It is a rare and precious gift to be a knight,” she said, “and even more so a knight of the Kingsguard.
“身为骑士是多么珍贵稀罕的荣誉,”她说,“御林铁卫的骑士更是犹有过之。
It is a gift given to few, a gift you scorned and soiled.”
世上只有很少人能被授予这份光荣,这份为你嘲笑和玷污的光荣。”
A gift you want desperately, wench, and can never have.
一份你想到心坎里,却又永远得不到的光荣,妞儿。
“I earned my knighthood. Nothing was given to me.
“骑士称号我凭本事挣来,并非出自别人打赏授予。
I won a tourney mêlée at thirteen, when I was yet a squire.
我十三岁那年,虽然刚当上侍从,却已成为团体比武的冠军;
At fifteen, I rode with Ser Arthur Dayne against the Kingswood Brotherhood, and he knighted me on the battlefield.
十五岁那年,随亚瑟·戴恩爵士讨伐御林兄弟会,被他亲手在战场上封为骑士。
It was that white cloak that soiled me, not the other way around.
我老实告诉你,玷污我的正是这身白袍,别无他物。
So spare me your envy.
总而言之,省省你的嫉妒吧,
It was the gods who neglected to give you a cock, not me.”
是诸神不愿赏你一个鸡巴,不是我。”
The look Brienne gave him then was full of loathing.
布蕾妮的眼神里充满无比嫌恶。
She would gladly hack me to pieces, but for her precious vow, he reflected.
她想把我剁成碎片,却受那宝贝誓言的约束,詹姆心想,
Good.
妙极,
I’ve had enough of feeble pieties and maidens’ judgments.
我也受够了她弱智的虔诚和天真的评论。
The wench stalked off without saying a word.
等妞儿大步离开,
Jaime curled up beneath his cloak, hoping to dream of Cersei.
他蜷进斗篷,渴望梦见瑟曦。
But when he closed his eyes, it was Aerys Targaryen he saw, pacing alone in his throne room, picking at his scabbed and bleeding hands.
谁知闭上眼睛,见到的却是伊里斯·坦格利安。国王独自在王座厅内踱步,那双长满疙瘩、浸染鲜血的手不住绞动。
The fool was always cutting himself on the blades and barbs of the Iron Throne.
这蠢货常被铁王座上的倒钩和尖刺弄得鲜血淋漓。
Jaime had slipped in through the king’s door, clad in his golden armor, sword in hand.
詹姆静静地走进来,身穿黄金战甲,利剑在手。
The golden armor, not the white, but no one ever remembers that.
黄金战甲,不是白的,但从没有人想到过。
Would that I had taken off that damned cloak as well.
我该把那可恨的袍子也脱掉。
When Aerys saw the blood on his blade, he demanded to know if it was Lord Tywin’s.
伊里斯看见剑上的血,想知道那是不是泰温公爵的血。