And the third part of Amazon’s skill or the capability is its technology.
亚马逊的技能或能力的第三部分是它的技术。
And a good example of that is Amazon Web Services, or AWS.
亚马逊网络服务或AWS就是一个很好的例子。
And I think if you look at these three core capabilities, customer focus and the data insight that it gets from that, the logistics capability, and the technology, everything that Amazon is doing is some way or the other connected to it.
我认为,如果你看看这三个核心能力,以客户为中心,以及从这三个方面获得的数据洞察力,物流能力和技术,亚马逊正在做的一切都以某种方式与之相连。
In that sense, Amazon, and there’s no lack of focus, in my judgment on Amazon.
从这个意义上讲,在我对亚马逊的判断中,亚马逊并不缺乏关注点。
Now, if he starts doing, starts making cream cheese tomorrow or starts making airplane engines, then I would say, yes, it’s got a lack of focus.
现在,如果明天开始做奶油奶酪,或者开始制造飞机发动机,那么我会说,是的,它缺乏重点。
But one of the other things that Jeff Bezos has said again and again is this notion of work backwards and scale forward.
但杰夫·贝佐斯一再表示的另一件事是,向后工作和向前扩展的概念。
And what that means is, because you’re customer obsessed, you sort of find ways to satisfy customers, and if that means developing new skills that we don’t have because we are working backwards from what the customer needs are, then we’ll build those skills.
这意味着,因为你专注于客户,你要想办法去满足客户的需求。鉴于我们的工作是从客户需求出发的,如果这意味着要开发我们所不具备的新技能,那么我们就会开发这些技能。
So a good example of that is, when Amazon started building Kindle, Amazon was never in the hardware business.
一个很好的例子是,当亚马逊开始开发Kindle时,亚马逊从未涉足硬件业务。
It didn’t know how to build hardware.
它不知道如何制造硬件。
But Bezos realized that as the industry moved, people are beginning to read more and more online, rather, or at least on their devices, rather than the physical paper copy of a book.
但贝佐斯意识到,随着行业的发展,人们开始越来越多地在网上阅读,或者至少在他们的设备上阅读,而不是纸质的纸质书。
So as a result, he says, how do we make it easier for consumers to read it on an electronic version?
因此,他说,我们如何让消费者更容易在电子版上阅读它?
And they’re spending three years learning about this capability of hardware manufacturing.
他们花了三年时间学习这种硬件制造能力。
And by the way, Kindle came out long before iPad came out.
顺便说一句,Kindle早在iPad问世之前就已经问世了。
And of course, that capability now has helped them launch Echo and many other devices.
当然,这种能力现在帮助他们推出了Echo和许多其他设备。
Right.
是的
So it’s the focus on the customer, plus a willingness to go outside your comfort zone, the wander part.
因此,这是对客户的关注,加上愿意走出你的舒适区,这是漫游的部分。
Exactly.
没错。
Yeah.
是的。
How would you describe Bezos’s leadership style?
你会如何描述贝佐斯的领导风格?
So I think there are at least three parts to it.
所以我认为它至少有三个部分。
One is, he said right from day one that he wants to be a long-term focus.
首先,他从第一天起就表示,他希望成为长期的焦点。
The second thing is being customer obsessed.
第二件事是对客户的痴迷。
And many times he has said that he can imagine, in the meetings he wants people to imagine an empty chair.
并且他曾多次表示,他可以想象,他希望人们在会议中想象一张空椅子。
That is basically for the customer.
这基本上是为了客户。
And he says, we are not competitor focused.
他说,我们不是专注于竞争对手。
We are not product focused.
我们不是以产品为中心。
We are not technology focused.
我们并不专注于技术。
We are customer focused.
我们以客户为中心。
And the third is, willingness to experiment.
第三个是,愿意尝试。
And fail, and build that culture in the company that it’s OK to fail.
还有失败,并在公司中建立一种文化,即失败也可以。
ALISON BEARD: What about personally, though?
艾莉森·比尔德:那个人呢?
Is he a hard charger?
他是个硬汉吗??
Is he an active listener?
他是一个积极的倾听者吗?
What’s it like to be in a room with him?
和他在一个房间里是什么感觉?
Oh, he’s certainly a hard charger.
哦,他当然是个硬汉。
I mean, he’s also the kind of guy, when he hires people, he says, you can work long, hard, or smart.
我的意思是,他也是这样的人,当他雇人时,他会说,你可以工作很久、很努力,或者很聪明。
But at Amazon, you can choose two out of three.
但在亚马逊,你可以从三个中选择两个。
And I think this is similar to many other leaders.
我认为这与许多其他领导人类似。
If you look at Steve Jobs, he was also a very hard charging guy.
如果你看看史蒂夫·乔布斯,他也是一个非常强硬的人。
And I think some people find it exhilarating to work with these kind of leaders.
我认为有些人觉得与这样的领导人一起工作是一件令人兴奋的事情。
Some find it very tough.
有些人觉得这很难。
Do you think that he communicates differently from other successful CEOs?
你认为他的沟通方式与其他成功的CEO不同吗?
So the communication style that he has built in the company is the very famous now, there’s no PowerPoints.
所以他在公司建立的沟通方式现在非常有名,没有幻灯片。
So it’s a very thoughtful discussion.
所以这是一次非常深思熟虑的讨论。
You write six-page memos, which everybody, when their meeting starts, everybody sits down and actually reads the memo.
你写六页的备忘录,每个人,当他们的会议开始时,每个人都坐下来,真正地阅读备忘录。