There are men still wearing black who have had ten times as many women as this poor king.
说真的,黑衣人中有的家伙干过的女人是那可怜国王的十倍。
You must guess again, Jon Snow.”
你得再猜,琼恩 雪诺。”
Jon considered a moment.
琼恩考虑了一会,
“The Halfhand said you had a passion for wildling music.”
“断掌说您喜欢野人的音乐。”
“I did. I do.
“这没错,
That’s closer to the mark, yes. But not a hit.”
已经接近答案了,但还不准确。”
Mance Rayder rose, unfastened the clasp that held his cloak, and swept it over the bench.
曼斯·雷德站起来,松开斗篷的搭扣,将其铺在桌面上。
“It was for this.”
“我是为这个。”
“A cloak?”
“为一顶斗篷?”
“The black wool cloak of a Sworn Brother of the Night’s Watch,” said the King-beyond-the-Wall.
“一顶誓言效命的守夜人兄弟的黑羊毛斗篷,”塞外之王说。
“One day on a ranging we brought down a fine big elk.
“有一次,我们出巡逻时打死了一只美丽的巨鹿,
We were skinning it when the smell of blood drew a shadow-cat out of its lair.
正忙着剥皮呢,不料血腥味引来了附近巢穴里的影子山猫。
I drove it off, but not before it shredded my cloak to ribbons.
是我把它赶走的,可斗篷在打斗中被撕成了碎条。
Do you see?
你看到了吗?
Here, here, and here?”
这里,这里,还有这里?”
He chuckled.
他咯咯笑道,
“It shredded my arm and back as well, and I bled worse than the elk.
“那畜生还撕烂了我的手臂和脊背,我比那头鹿流的血还要多。
My brothers feared I might die before they got me back to Maester Mullin at the Shadow Tower,
弟兄们害怕我在返回影子塔让穆林学士诊治以前就死掉,
so they carried me to a wildling village where we knew an old wisewoman did some healing.
所以把我抬到一个野人村庄,因为据说那里有个老女巫懂些医术。
She was dead, as it happened, but her daughter saw to me.
不巧的是,她已经死了,只留下一个女儿。
Cleaned my wounds, sewed me up, and fed me porridge and potions until I was strong enough to ride again.
是她,替我清洗伤痕,缝好创口,还喂我粥和药水,直到我康复。
And she sewed up the rents in my cloak as well,
她用亚夏产的鲜红丝线缝好我破碎的斗篷,
with some scarlet silk from Asshai that her grandmother had pulled from the wreck of a cog washed up on the Frozen Shore.
丝线是她祖母从一只被冲到冰封海岸的遇难小船上发现的。
It was the greatest treasure she had, and her gift to me.”
这是她最大的财宝,是她给我的礼物。”
He swept the cloak back over his shoulders.
他把斗篷披回肩上。
“But at the Shadow Tower, I was given a new wool cloak from stores, black and black, and trimmed with black,
“回到影子塔,他们从仓库里给了我一件新的羊毛斗篷,一件全黑的斗篷,整洁清爽,
to go with my black breeches and black boots, my black doublet and black mail.
配上黑色的马裤和黑色的靴子,黑色的上衣和黑色的锁甲。
The new cloak had no frays nor rips nor tears … and most of all, no red.
这件新斗篷没有磨损、没有划痕、没有裂口……也没有红色。
The men of the Night’s Watch dressed in black, Ser Denys Mallister reminded me sternly, as if I had forgotten.
守夜人必须穿着黑衣,丹尼斯·梅利斯特爵士严厉地提醒我,当我是健忘者。
My old cloak was fit for burning now, he said.
他还说,你的旧斗篷可以烧掉了。”
“I left the next morning … for a place where a kiss was not a crime, and a man could wear any cloak he chose.”
“第二天早上我就离开……去了一个亲吻不再是罪恶,人们可以自由选择斗篷的地方。”
He closed the clasp and sat back down again.
他扣紧搭扣,重新坐下。
“And you, Jon Snow?”
“你呢,琼恩·雪诺?”
Jon took another swallow of mead.
琼恩又吮下一口蜜酒。
There is only one tale that he might believe.
看来,只有一个说法能让他信服。
“You say you were at Winterfell, the night my father feasted King Robert.”
“您说您去过临冬城,参加过我父亲招待劳勃国王的晚宴。”
“I did say it, for I was.”
“是的,我的确在那里。”
“Then you saw us all.
“那您应当一清二楚才对。
Prince Joffrey and Prince Tommen, Princess Myrcella, my brothers Robb and Bran and Rickon, my sisters Arya and Sansa.
乔佛里王子和托曼王子,弥塞菈公主,我兄弟罗柏、布兰和瑞肯,我妹妹艾莉亚与珊莎,
You saw them walk the center aisle with every eye upon them and take their seats at the table just below the dais where the king and queen were seated.”
他们走过中央的通道,万众瞩目,而落座的地方也仅比国王和公爵的高台低一席。”
“I remember.”
“如何?”
“And did you see where I was seated, Mance?”
“您看见我坐哪儿了吗,曼斯?”
He leaned forward.
他向前靠了靠,
“Did you see where they put the bastard?”
“您看见他们把私生子扔哪儿了吗?”
Mance Rayder looked at Jon’s face for a long moment.
曼斯·雷德长久审视着琼恩的脸孔。
“I think we had best find you a new cloak,” the king said, holding out his hand.
“我想该为你找件新斗篷,”国王边说,边伸出手。