【句子】-- Uh-oh! Dead end!
-- You gotta make a U-ey. 【Modern Family S3E16】
【发音技巧】Dead end连读;gotta闪音;make a连读;
【翻译】- -啊!路到头了!
-- 你得调头才行。
今天视频中,我们要来学习的第一个短语是:dead end,
它可以用来指:“死胡同;路的尽头;僵局;绝境”等等意思;
the end of a road, path or other passage that does not have an exit or other passages attached to it
或者By extension, a situation in which no more progress or advancement is possible.
eg: The first street we tried turned out to be a dead end.
我们尝试的第一条路结果居然是条死胡同。
eg: I knew my GPS was wrong when it told me to turn onto a road that came to a dead end.
当我的导航让我转进一条路,但是我发现是个死胡同的时候,我就知道它出错了。
eg: We had come to a dead end in our research.
我们的研究工作已经陷入绝境。/我们的研究工作毫无进展。
eg: I'm afraid we've come to a dead end in our investigation.
恐怕我们的调查已经进入了死胡同。/恐怕我们的调查毫无进展。
eg: Do you feel you have reached a dead end at work?
你有没有觉得,你在工作中已经没办法再突破、进展了?
eg: This line of investigation could prove to be a complete dead end.
这种调查方法到头来可能会被证明是完全没有结果的。
今天视频中,我们要学习的第二个表达是:make a U-ey,表示“调头”,口语中你也可以说make a U-turn;
Literally, to make a sudden 180-degree turn, such that one or one's vehicle is quickly facing or moving in the opposite direction.
eg: Damn, I forgot my keys! Make a U-ey so I can go back and get them.
该死,我忘了我的钥匙。调个头吧,这样我可以回去拿一下钥匙。
eg: Once I realized I was going the wrong way, I had to make a U-turn at the next light.
我一意识到我走错了路,我就不得不在下个灯调头。
eg: When I saw Mary in the hallway, I made a U-turn and went back the way I came.
我在走廊上看到了玛丽,我调头就走,照着原路回去了。
【尝试翻译以下句子,并留言在文章留言区】
Negotiators have reached a dead end in their attempts to find a peaceful solution.
主播老师微信:teacheryaoyao7