New York is where society puts itself on display.
纽约是上层社会展示自己的地方。
The leaders meet each other and their children court each other.
领袖们见面,他们的子女互相追求。
The old guard think they can keep out the new people with impunity. But nothing stays the same forever.
守旧的人认为他们可以把新人拒之门外而不受惩罚。但没有什么是永远不变的。
Change came from the American Revolution, but it was difficult to live through all the same.
美国革命带来了变化,想要维持和之前一样的情况并不容易。
I intend to bring the great city of New York the opera house it deserves.
我打算给纽约这座伟大的城市带来配得上它的歌剧院。
The members of the Academy are very determined it should not succeed.
学院的元老们都坚持认为它不会成功的。
You'll need to pick a team.
你需要选择一个团队。
That's it. Head-to-head, and one will be the winner.
就是这样。正面迎战,胜者为王。
Mrs. Russell is even more of a fighter than I had realized.
罗素夫人比我想象的更好斗。
Is there any chance I could come back to 61st Street?
有没有可能让我再回到61街?
Agnes would welcome you back with open arms.
阿格尼斯会张开双臂欢迎你回来。
I never dreamed that I might still fall in love. But I wonder what Agnes will think.
我做梦也没想到我还会坠入爱河。但我不知道阿格尼斯会怎么想。
Cousin Dashiell?
表哥达希尔?
He's taken a real interest in Marian.
他对玛丽安很感兴趣。
But I don't just want a husband, Aunt Ada.
但我不只是想要一个名义上的丈夫,艾达姨母。
We're covering the opening of a new school in Tuskegee.
我们正在报道塔斯基吉一所新学校的开学。
You have never been south.
你从来没去过南方。
I need to show the world there are colored people making something of their lives.
我需要向世界展示有色人种也在为自己的生活做出贡献。
Things are worse than I thought.
事情比我想象的还要糟。
Your workers would pay barely enough to put food on the table.
你的工人只能勉强维持生计。
Why must I be the villain in every story? I have lifted whole towns out of poverty.
为什么每个故事里我都是反派?我使整个城镇摆脱了贫困。
You're making a terrible mistake. Stop being so selfish.
你犯了一个严重的错误。别这么自私了。
I won't be put in a cage!
我不要被关在笼子里!
Have you forgotten that you live here at my pleasure?
你忘了你住在这里是因为我的恩惠吗?
I'm afraid we have a serious problem.
恐怕我们有大麻烦了。
I cover all your backs, but who's covering mine?
我掩护你们,但谁掩护我?
You seem to have won the first battle.
你似乎赢下了第一场战斗。
I intend to win the war.
我打算赢下这场战争。