This is a piece of skin.
这是一块皮肤。
Of artificial skin.
或者说人造皮肤。
And now, OK, I’m just going to paste it on this hand, and I'll greet you all.
现在,我把它贴在这只手上,用来和大家打招呼。
I will show you how it works.
我将向大家演示它是如何工作的。
So please have a look at what happens on the table, where there is one piece of this artificial skin, and also what happens on the screen of the laptop that you see in the video that is about to start.
在即将播放的视频里,请大家注意看桌面上发生了什么,上面有一块这样的人造皮肤,以及视频里笔记本电脑的屏幕上显示了什么。
So this is me.
画面里的是我。
I'm first breathing on the skin.
我先冲着这块皮肤呼吸。
And you see now that this line that first was flat now shows a bump.
你可以看到最初平直的线条上出现了一个起伏。
And now I'm touching it with my finger.
现在我用手指触摸皮肤。
And again, another bump.
又出现了一个起伏。
I am touching it one more time with the back of a feather.
我用羽毛的根部再触碰它一次。
And now tinier bumps are coming.
出现了更小的起伏。
And again. Now even smaller bumps are coming.
接下来又是更细微的起伏。
But what is this line?
这条线到底代表着什么?
This, what we are looking at, is electrical current, which first is constant.
我们观看的是电流,它一开始是稳定的。
And then when we touch the skin or breathe on it or touch it with a very light feather, it shows a signal.
当我们触摸皮肤、对着它呼吸或者用非常轻的羽毛触碰它时,电流会显示出信号。
So this bump that you see is a signal in the electrical current.
你刚才看到的起伏就是电流的信号。
And this is actually exactly how our skin also works.
其实我们的皮肤正是这样运作的。
So we have receptors in the skin which sense what is happening on the skin.
我们的皮肤中有能感知周围发生事物的传感器。
And then they produce an electrical signal which travels through the nerves and arrives at our brain where it is recognized.
它们会产生电子信号,这些信号通过神经传导至我们的大脑并被识别。
I am a chemist by education, and I worked in the field of material science, which is a very interdisciplinary field, since almost 20 years now.
我是一名化学家,在材料科学领域工作了将近20年,这是一个高度跨学科的领域。
First, as a PhD student in Italy, in Bari, and then at MIT as a postdoc, and now I am group leader in Graz.
我先是在意大利巴里大学攻读博士,然后在麻省理工完成了博士后,现在我是格拉茨理工大学的一位团队负责人。
And it is almost six years that we are working on artificial skins.
我们团队研究人造皮肤已经快六年了。