手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 品牌英语听力 > 六分钟英语 > 正文

第500期:战争上瘾 Addicted to wars

来源:可可英语 编辑:Leon   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

Hello. This is 6 Minute English from BBC Learning English. I’m Neil. And I’m Sam.

你好。这里是BBC英语六分钟。我是尼尔。我是山姆。

In this programme, we’ll be hearing about the extraordinary life of a well-known BBC journalist, Fergal Keane.

在本期节目中,我们将会了解著名BBC记者弗加尔·基恩非凡的一生。

As a BBC war correspondent, Fergal witnessed some of the most violent events in recent history.

作为BBC的战地记者,弗加尔目睹了近代史上一些最暴力的事件。

Fergal’s reporting helped his television audiences make sense of the horrors of war, but underneath there were more personal reasons attracting him to the frontline.

弗加尔的报道帮助他的电视观众理解了战争的恐怖,但吸引他去往前线的更多的是背后的个人原因。

Despite the danger, Fergal found himself going back again and again to report from war zones.

尽管危险重重,弗加尔还是一次又一次地从战区返回报道。

It gave him something he couldn't get anywhere else – a massive rush of adrenaline, and Fergal started to worry that he was becoming addicted to war.

这给了他在其他任何地方都无法得到的东西——激增的肾上腺素,弗加尔开始担心自己会对战争上瘾。

In his new book, ‘The Madness: A Memoir of War, Fear and PTSD’, Fergal discusses living with PTSD, or post-traumatic stress disorder, a type of psychological suffering that results from witnessing extreme violence.

在他的新书《疯狂:战争、恐惧和创伤后应激障碍的回忆录》中,弗加尔讨论了患有创伤后应激障碍的生活,这是一种因目睹极端暴力而产生的心理痛苦。

We’ll hear about some key events in Fergal’s life, and, as usual, we’ll be learning some new vocabulary as well.

我们会听到弗加尔生活中的一些重要事件,并且像往常一样,我们也会学习一些新词汇。

But first, I have a question for you, Sam.

但首先,我有个问题要问你,山姆。

The term, PTSD, is quite new, but descriptions of the mental suffering of war go back to ancient times.

PTSD(创伤后应激障碍)是一个相当新的术语,但对战争带来的精神痛苦的描述可以追溯到古代。

Something similar to PTSD is mentioned in Viking sagas and in stories about both World Wars.

维京传奇和两次世界大战的故事中都提到了类似PTSD的东西。

So, what was the name of the PTSD-like condition suffered by many soldiers during the First World War?

那么,在第一次世界大战期间,许多士兵遭受的类似创伤后应激障碍的症状叫什么呢?

Was it: a) nostalgia? b) shell shock? or, c) combat stress?

是a)思乡? B)炮弹休克? 还是c)作战压力?

I think the answer is shell shock.

我认为答案是炮弹休克。

OK, Sam, I’ll reveal the answer later in the programme.

好的,山姆,稍后我会在节目中揭晓答案。

Fergal Keane, who was born in Ireland, had seen violence ever since the early days of his career covering the fighting in Belfast.

弗加尔·基恩出生于爱尔兰,从他在贝尔法斯特报道战斗的职业生涯早期开始,就目睹了暴力事件。

He had already reported from wars all over the world when, in 1994, he was sent to cover the civil war in Rwanda.

1994年,当他被派去报道卢旺达内战时,他已经在世界各地报道过战争。

But what Fergal saw there shocked him like nothing before, as he told Mobeen Azhar, presenter of BBC World Service programme, Lives Less Ordinary.

但弗加尔在那里看到的景象让他感到前所未有的震惊,他是这样告诉BBC世界服务节目《不平凡的生活》的主持人莫比恩·阿扎尔的。

…and I began to have nightmares of Rwanda.

……我开始做有关卢旺达的噩梦。

And of course, at that stage, you know, it was obvious that I was traumatised but, again, did I go to a psychiatrist?

当然,在那个阶段,很明显我受到了创伤,但是,我去看精神病医生了吗?

No, I didn't. I kept doing the job.

不,我没有。我一直在工作。

Did you turn to other things?

你向别的东西寻求解脱了吗?

Booze. Booze. I mean, how much booze are we talking?

酒。酒。我是说,我们谈论的是多少酒?

You know, the truth is, I was an alcoholic long before I got to Rwanda.

事实是,在我来卢旺达很久之前我就是个酒鬼。

But I was in the kind of functioning alcoholic - what they call, you know, managing it stage of the of the disease.

但我当时处于一种功能性酗酒——他们称之为,可控阶段。

When Fergal returned home from Rwanda, he started having nightmares – upsetting and frightening dreams.

当弗加尔从卢旺达回家后,他开始做噩梦——令人不安恐惧的梦。

It was obvious he was traumatised from the violence he had seen, but still Fergal didn’t go to a psychiatrist – a medical doctor who specialises in treating mental illness.

很明显,他所看到的暴力给他造成了精神创伤,但他仍然没有去看精神科医生——专门治疗精神疾病的医生。

Instead, Fergal turned to booze – an informal name for alcohol.

于是,弗加尔转而酗酒——酒精的非正式称呼。

Fergal had been addicted to alcohol before he arrived in Rwanda, but now he had another addiction to cope with – the need to keep returning to war.

在来到卢旺达之前,弗加尔就已经对酒精上瘾了,但现在他又有了另一个瘾要对付——总想返回战场的欲望。

Fergal knew it wasn’t healthy, but he couldn’t stop.

费格尔知道这样不健康,但他停不下来。

Around the year 2001, it seemed that war was everywhere, and Fergal kept on reporting – in Sudan, Iraq, Afghanistan, and Lebanon.

2001年前后,似乎到处都是战争,弗加尔继续报道战争——在苏丹、伊拉克、阿富汗和黎巴嫩。

But the nightmares didn’t stop, and his mental health got worse and worse.

但噩梦并没有停止,他的精神状况越来越差。

Here Fergal takes up the story with BBC World Service programme, Lives Less Ordinary.

费格尔在BBC全球服务节目《不平凡的生活》中讲述了这个故事。

I reach a point where I can't carry that anymore, and it's not dramatic, it's a slow, steady erosion… and that ends with a breakdown, and admission to hospital, and this time diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder, and fulfilling the kind of essential criteria as the psychiatrist saw it of hypervigilance, nightmares, flashbacks… more nightmares than flashbacks… and the sense of being under threat, and anger.

我达到了再也无法忍受的地步,这不是急剧性的,这是一个缓慢的,稳定的侵蚀……最后以崩溃结束,我住院了,这次被诊断为创伤后应激障碍,达到了精神科医生所看到的那种基本标准:过度警惕,噩梦,闪回……噩梦比闪回更多……感觉受到威胁,内心十分愤怒。

How did you feel? Relief, I think.

你感觉如何? 我想是解脱吧。

You know, there's a name to this.

这有个可以称呼的名字。

You might expect Fergal to call it a day at this point, but that's not how addiction works.

你可能以为弗加尔会就此结束,但这并不是上瘾的作用原理。

He just kept getting pulled back in.

他仍然会被不断地拽回来。

Fergal had a nervous breakdown – a period of acute mental illness leaving him unable to cope with life.

弗加尔精神崩溃了——一段时间的急性精神疾病使他无法应付生活。

After the terrible things Fergal had witnessed, you might expect him to call it a day – a phrase meaning to decide to stop what you are doing.

在弗加尔目睹了这些可怕的事情之后,你可能会期望他的痛苦到此为止——这个短语的意思是决定停止你正在做的事情。

But Fergal’s addictions made that impossible.

但弗加尔的瘾让一切努力白费。

After his diagnosis of PTSD, he got support and was finally able to stay away from booze and war.

在被诊断出患有创伤后应激障碍后,他得到了援助,终于能够远离酗酒和战争。

OK, it’s time to reveal the answer to my question.

好了,是时候揭晓我问题的答案了。

I asked about the name of the PTSD-like condition suffered by soldiers during World War One.

我问了关于第一次世界大战期间士兵遭受的类似创伤后应激障碍的疾病的名字。

And I said it was shell shock. Which was the correct answer.

我说的是炮弹休克。这是正确答案。

Right, let’s recap the vocabulary we’ve learned from the extraordinary life of Fergal Keane, the war correspondent who suffered or post-traumatic stress disorder – a mental illness experienced after violent or shocking events.

好了,让我们回顾一下从弗格尔·基恩非凡的人生中学到的词汇。这位战地记者患有PTSD,即在暴力或令人震惊的事件后经历的精神疾病。

A nightmare is an upsetting and frightening dream.

Nightmare是令人不安恐惧的梦。

A psychiatrist is a type of doctor who specialises in mental illness.

Psychiatrist是一种专门研究精神疾病的医生。

Booze is slang for alcohol.

Booze是酒精的俚语。

A , is an acute period of psychological illness leaving you unable to cope with life.

Breakdown,是一种急性的心理疾病,使你无法应付生活。

And finally, the phrase call it a day means to stop what you are doing because you no longer want to.

最后,call it a day这个短语的意思是停止你正在做的事情,因为你不想再做了。

Once again, our six minutes are up.

六分钟又到了。

Goodbye for now! Goodbye!

再见了! 再见!

重点单词   查看全部解释    
phrase [freiz]

想一想再看

n. 短语,习语,个人风格,乐句
vt. 措词

联想记忆
experienced [iks'piəriənst]

想一想再看

adj. 有经验的

 
informal [in'fɔ:məl]

想一想再看

adj. 非正式的,不拘形式的

 
dramatic [drə'mætik]

想一想再看

adj. 戏剧性的,引人注目的,给人深刻印象的

联想记忆
violent ['vaiələnt]

想一想再看

adj. 暴力的,猛烈的,极端的

 
memoir ['memwɑ:]

想一想再看

n. 传记,实录 (复数)memoirs: 回忆录,自传

 
nostalgia [nɔs'tældʒiə]

想一想再看

n. 乡愁,向往过去,怀旧之情

联想记忆
covering ['kʌvəriŋ]

想一想再看

n. 覆盖物,遮避物 adj. 掩护的,掩盖的

 
violence ['vaiələns]

想一想再看

n. 暴力,猛烈,强暴,暴行

 
addiction [ə'dikʃən]

想一想再看

n. 沉溺,上瘾

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。