手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 品牌英语听力 > 六分钟英语 > 正文

第477期:食物与心情 Food and mood

来源:可可英语 编辑:Vicki   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

Hello. This is 6 Minute English from BBC Learning English. I’m Sam. And I’m Rob.

大家好。这里是 BBC 学习英语栏目的六分钟英语。我是萨姆。我是罗布。

When someone feels sad or in a bad mood,

一个人伤心或心情不好时,

they often try to feel better by eating their favourite food.

通常会吃自己最喜欢的食物,尽量让自己开心一点。

I usually go for a peanut butter sandwich myself.

我通常会吃花生酱三明治。

Do you have a favourite comfort food, Rob?

你有最喜欢的安慰食物吗,罗布?

Hmm, maybe a cream chocolate eclair.

可能是奶油巧克力蛋糕

Comfort food is a type of emotional eating,

安慰食物是一种情绪化的饮食,

eating lots of food because we feel sad, not because we’re hungry.

即因为伤心而吃很多食物,而不是因为饿了。

But unfortunately, most comfort food is high in carbohydrates and sugar

但不幸的是,大多数安慰食物的碳水化合物和糖含量很高,

and, after a few minutes, it leaves us feeling even worse than before.

而且几分钟后,情绪化饮食会让我们更难受。

Today, scientific research into the relationship between what we eat and how we feel is growing.

如今,研究食物和情绪关系的科学研究越来越多了。

In this programme, we’ll be investigating the connection between our food and our mood.

在本期节目中,我们将探究食物和情绪之间的联系。

We’ll hear how healthy eating makes us feel better,

我们将了解到,健康饮食会让我们心情更好,

and of course, we’ll be learning some new vocabulary as well.

当然,我们也会学到一些新的词汇。

Great! But first I have a question for you, Sam.

太棒了!但首先我有个问题要问你,萨姆。

People who link what we eat with how we feel make a simple argument:

认为饮食与情绪有关的人提出了一个简单的论点:

the food you eat supplies nutrients and energy to the brain,

我们吃的食物为大脑提供营养和能量,

and the brain controls our emotions.

而大脑控制我们的情绪。

Now, that might sound simplistic,

这听起来可能过于简单了,

but the brain is a vital link in the connection between food and our mood.

但大脑的确是联系食物和情绪的至关重要的一环。

So, Sam, my question is: how much of the body’s total energy is used up by the brain?

那么,萨姆,我的问题是:大脑消耗了身体总能量的多少?

Is it a) 10 percent b) 20 percent or c) 30 percent?

是 a) 10% b) 20% 还是 c) 30%?

Hmmm, that's a good question. I’ll say it’s a) 10 percent.

嗯~这是个好问题。我觉得是 a) 10%。

Right. Well, I’ll reveal the answer later in the programme.

好的,稍后我会在节目中揭晓答案。

Emotional eating is often caused by feelings of depression, anxiety or stress.

情绪化饮食通常是由抑郁、焦虑或压力引起的。

Chef Danny Edwards, who has suffered with depression,

主厨丹尼·爱德华兹患有抑郁症,

works in one of the most stressful places imaginable - a busy restaurant kitchen.

他在繁忙的餐厅厨房工作。那里可以算是压力最大的地方之一了。

BBC World Service programme, The Food Chain, asked Danny about his eating habits at work.

在BBC世界服务栏目《食物链》中,主持人询问了丹尼工作时的饮食习惯。

Actually, when you’re working in a kitchen environment for long periods,

其实,如果你长时间在厨房工作的话,

your appetite can become suppressed because you sometimes don't want to eat,

你的食欲可能会降低,因为有时你不想吃饭,

or you don't feel like you can stop and eat, and all of that.

或者是你觉得自己不能停下来吃东西,等等。

So, it very often is grabbing something on the go

因此,我常常吃得很快。

which obviously, as we know, is not great for us…

众所周知,这对身体不好。

So you go for something that’s quick,

我会选择能很快吃完的食物。

so hence why a lot of chefs have quite a bad diet.

这就是为什么很多厨师的饮食习惯都很糟糕。

Even though he’s surrounded by food,

尽管他周围都是食物,

Danny says that working under stress actually decreases his appetite,

但丹尼说,但在压力下工作其实会降低他的食欲。

the feeling that you want to eat food.

食欲“appetite”指想吃东西的感觉。

In a busy kitchen there’s no time for a sit-down meal,

在忙碌的厨房里,没有时间坐下来吃饭,

so Danny has to grab and go – take something quickly because he doesn’t have much time,

所以丹尼不得不“grab and go”,即由于没有太多时间所以行动迅速。

although he knows this isn’t very healthy.

尽管他知道这不是很健康。

So when even chefs have a difficult relationship with food, what about the rest of us?

连厨师都和食物关系不好,那我们其他人怎么办?

Professor Felice Jacka, is an expert in nutritional psychiatry.

菲利斯·杰卡教授是营养精神病学的专家。

She studied the effect of eating a healthy diet –

她研究了健康饮食的影响,

food such as fresh fruit and vegetables, wholegrain cereals, and olive oil –

即吃些新鲜水果和蔬菜、粗粮麦片、橄榄油等等。

on people suffering depression.

她研究了健康饮食对抑郁症患者的影响。

Professor Jacka found that the patients whose mental health improved

杰卡教授发现,精神健康状况改善的患者

were the same patients who had also improved their diet.

正是那些改善了饮食习惯的患者。

But Professor Jacka’s ideas were not accepted by everyone.

但并非每个人都认同杰卡教授的观点。

Here, she explains to Jordan Dunbar, presenter of BBC World Service’s, The Food Chain,

她曾向BBC世界服务栏目《食物链》的主持人乔丹·邓巴讲述,

about the opposition her study faced from other doctors.

她的研究是如何被其它学者反对的。

So I proposed to do this for my PhD study,

当时我提议将这个项目作为我的博士研究,

and everyone thought I was a bit bananas, you know,

每个人都认为我有点疯狂,

and there was quite a bit of, I guess, eye rolling maybe.

而且我猜,可能有很多人瞧不起这项研究。

I'm not surprised by that

对此,我并不感到惊讶,

because the discipline of psychiatry was very medication- and brain-focused.

因为精神病学非常注重有关药物和大脑的研究。

What did people say in the field?

他们说什么了吗?

Were they sceptical?

他们持怀疑态度吗?

Oh, hugely sceptical and sometimes very patronising.

哦!非常怀疑,有人还很瞧不起我的研究。

But this again comes from the fact that general practitioners, psychiatrists, medical specialists

但还是那个道理,全科医生、精神病学家、医学专家,

get almost no nutrition training through all those years of study.

他们在学习生涯中几乎没有接受过营养学教育。

When Professor Jacka investigated the link between food and mood,

杰卡教授研究食物和情绪之间的联系时,

her colleagues thought she was bananas – a slang word meaning silly or crazy.

她的同事们认为她疯了。“bananas”是一个俚语,形容人愚蠢或疯狂。

They rolled their eyes – a phrase which describes the gesture of turning your eyes upwards

短语“rolled their eyes”描述的是眼睛向上看的姿势,

to express annoyance, boredom or disbelief.

以表示烦恼、无聊或不相信。

Other colleagues were patronising – they behaved towards her as if she were stupid or unimportant.

有些同事则自诩清高。他们对她的态度就好像她很愚蠢或不重要。

Professor Jacka thinks this is because

杰卡教授认为,这是因为

most doctors have little or no training about nutrition and the effect of food on mental health.

大多数医生很少或根本没有接受过有关营养学和食物对心理健康影响的教育。

But her ground-breaking research, named ‘The Smile Trial’,

但她的突破性研究,名为“微笑试验”,

has been successfully repeated elsewhere,

已经被其他学者成功复刻。

clearly showing the link between eating well and feeling good.

其他学者也清楚地证明了吃得好与心情好有关。

So the next time you’re feeling down and your brain is calling out for a donut,

所以下次你情绪低落,大脑指挥你去吃甜甜圈的时候,

you might be better eating an apple instead!

你最好还是吃个苹果吧!

And speaking of brains, Sam, it’s time to reveal the answer to my question.

说到大脑,萨姆,是时候揭晓我的问题的答案了。

Yes, you asked me how much of the body’s energy is used up by the brain.

是的,你问我大脑消耗了身体的多少能量。

I guessed it was ten percent.Well, I'm afraid you are wrong.

我猜是10%的。回答错误。

In fact, around twenty percent of the body’s energy goes to feeding the brain,

其实,身体大约20%的能量用于供养大脑,

even though it only makes up two percent of our total body weight.

尽管它只占我们体重的2%。

OK, let’s recap the vocabulary we’ve learned from our discussion about emotional eating.

好了,让我们回顾一下本期有关情绪化饮食的词汇。

That's eating too much food because of how you feel, not because you’re hungry.

“emotional eating”指因为心情不好而吃太多食物,不是因为饿了。

Appetite is the desire to eat food.

“appetite”指想吃东西的欲望。

If you grab and go, you take something quickly because you don’t have much time.

“grab and go”,指由于没有太多的时间而飞快地拿东西。

Calling someone bananas is slang for silly or crazy.

“俚语bananas”形容人愚蠢或疯狂。

If you roll your eyes, you move your eyes upwards

“roll your eyes”,指眼睛向上移动,

to show you feel annoyed, bored or don’t believe what someone is telling you.

表示恼火、无聊或不相信别人说你的话。

And finally, if someone is patronising you,

最后,“patronising”,

they speak or behave towards you as if you were stupid or unimportant.

形容某人对你说的话、做的事,就好像你很愚蠢或不重要一样。

That's the end of our programme,

我们的节目到此结束。

don’t forget to join us again soon

别忘了收听我们的节目哦,

for more topical discussion and useful vocabulary here at 6 Minute English.

6分钟英语将讨论更多话题,讲解更多词汇。

Bye everyone! Bye bye!

大家再见!拜拜!

重点单词   查看全部解释    
presenter [pri'zentə]

想一想再看

n. 主持人,提出者,呈献者,

 
disbelief [.disbi'li:f]

想一想再看

n. 不相信,怀疑

联想记忆
kitchen ['kitʃin]

想一想再看

n. 厨房,(全套)炊具,灶间

 
annoyance [ə'nɔiəns]

想一想再看

n. 烦恼,生气,令人讨厌的人或事情

 
simplistic [sim'plistik]

想一想再看

adj. 过分单纯化的;过分简单化的

联想记忆
opposition [.ɔpə'ziʃən]

想一想再看

n. 反对,敌对,在野党

 
anxiety [æŋ'zaiəti]

想一想再看

n. 焦虑,担心,渴望

 
depression [di'preʃən]

想一想再看

n. 沮丧,萧条

联想记忆
phrase [freiz]

想一想再看

n. 短语,习语,个人风格,乐句
vt. 措词

联想记忆
environment [in'vaiərənmənt]

想一想再看

n. 环境,外界

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。