Hello. This is 6 Minute English from BBC Learning English. I’m Neil.
大家好。这里是 BBC 学习英语栏目的六分钟英语。我是内尔。
And I’m Sam.
我是萨姆。
We’re talking about the environment in this programme, specifically climate change.
本期节目我们将讨论环境,特别是气候变化。
Now, Sam, what do you think is the biggest cause of climate change?
萨姆,你认为导致气候变化的最大原因是什么?
An obvious answer would be that climate change is the result of carbon emissions caused by humans.
一个显而易见的答案是,人类碳排放。
It’s about people’s carbon footprint – the measurement of how much carbon dioxide is produced by someone’s everyday activities.
碳足迹与之息息相关。它衡量一个人的日常活动产生了多少二氧化碳。
That makes sense.
有道理。
But recently some scientists, especially in the west, have been focusing on another issue: the increasing number of people in the world, something known as overpopulation.
但最近,一些科学家,尤其是西方科学家,一直在关注另一个问题:世界上人口的增加,即人口过剩。
In this programme, we’ll be discussing the controversial link between overpopulation and climate change.
在这期节目中,我们将讨论人口过剩和气候变化之间的联系。这是一个有争议的问题。
And as usual we’ll be learning some new vocabulary, as well.
像往常一样,我们也将学习一些新的词汇。
Sounds good, Neil, but first I have a question for you.
听起来不错,内尔,但首先我有个问题要问你。
Over the last 100 years, within one lifetime, the world’s population has soared.
过去的100年里,不过一辈子的时间,世界人口已经大幅增长了。
At the start of the 20th century, it was around one-and-a-half billion, but how many people are there in the world today?
20世纪初,世界人口总数为15亿,但如今,世界上有多少人?
Is it a) seven billion? b) eight billion? c) nine billion?
是 a) 70亿 b) 80亿,还是 c) 90亿。
I’ll say around eight billion people live on the planet today.
大约有80亿人生活在地球上。
OK, Neil, I’ll reveal the answer later in the programme.
好的,内尔,稍后我会在节目中揭晓答案。
Since climate change is caused by human activities, it seems common sense that fewer people would mean lower carbon emissions.
既然气候变化是由人类活动引起的,那么人越少碳排放越少的逻辑似乎很合理。
But in fact the connection isn’t so simple.
但事实上,两者之间的联系并不那么简单。
Not everyone emits carbon equally, and people in the western world produce far more than people in sub-Saharan Africa or Asia.
每个人的碳排放量不同。相比于撒哈拉以南非洲和亚洲,西方世界的人排放的碳多得多。
Arvind Ravikumar is professor of climate policy at the University of Texas.
阿尔温德·拉维库马尔是德克萨斯大学的教授,研究气候政策。
He’s made the surprising calculation that an extra two billion people born in low-consuming countries, would actually add very little to global carbon emissions.
他的计算结果令人震惊。低消费国家20亿的人口增长,对全球碳排放的影响微乎其微。
Here, Kate Lamble and Neal Razzell, presenters of BBC World Service programme, The Climate Question, discuss Professor Ravikumar’s findings.
在BBC世界服务栏目的《气候问题》节目中,主持人凯特·兰布尔和尼尔·拉泽尔讨论了拉维库马尔教授的发现。
What he’s saying is kind of astonishing, right?
他说的有些令人震惊,对吧?
Two billion people is, to say the least, a lot.
起码,20亿人是个大数目。
It’s the combined population of Europe and Africa.
那是欧洲和非洲人口的总和。
He's crunched the numbers and found that an extra two billion low-income people as defined by the World Bank, these are people without cars, without electricity often, would see global emissions rise by just 1.5%.
他分析了数据,发现新增20亿低收入人口只会导致全球排放量增加1.5%。这里的低收入人口是由世界银行定义的,他们没有车,常常不用电。
Add two billion high-income earners, that's people with cars and power and all the mod cons, and Arvind reckons emissions would rise by more than 60%.
阿尔温德估计,如果新增20亿高收入者(有车、用电和用现代化设备的人),排放量将增加60%以上。
So when it comes to climate change and population, where you were born matters.
因此,涉及到气候变化和人口数量的关系时,出生地很重要。
Professor Ravikumar made his discovery after crunching the numbers, an idiom meaning performing many mathematical calculations involving large amounts of data.
拉维库马尔教授是在对数字进行分析后得出这一结论的。“crunch the numbers”是一个俚语,意思是进行许多涉及大量数据的数学计算。
He concluded that whereas two billion low-income people would increase carbon levels very little, two billion high-income people would increase it a lot.
他的结论是,20亿低收入者排放的碳很少,而20亿高收入者排放的碳很多。
That’s because high-income populations have mod cons,which is short for ‘modern conveniences’: technology and machines like cars, fridges and air-conditioning that make life easier and more pleasant.
这是因为高收入人群拥有现代化设施。“mod cons”是“modern conveniences”的缩写,指的是汽车、冰箱和空调等让生活更轻松、更美好的技术、机器。
According to this view, the real problem is not overpopulation but overconsumption.
从这个角度看,真正的问题不是人口过剩,而是过度消费。
Affluence, that’s having lots of money and owning many things, has become a big factor in climate change.
富裕,就是有很多钱,拥有很多东西的意思。它已经成为导致气候变化的一个重要因素。
And that’s true in poorer countries as well as richer ones.
无论是在贫穷的国家还是在富裕的国家,情况都是如此。
Listen to Rajesh Joshi, reporter for BBC World Service’s, The Climate Question, interviewing a rich Indian housewife, Priti Dhagan, in her luxurious home in New Delhi.
在BBC世界服务栏目的《气候问题》节目中,记者拉杰什·乔希采访了一位富有的印度家庭主妇普丽蒂·妲甘。二人在其新德里的豪宅中交谈。
I need everything that I buy.
我买的所有东西都是我所需要的。
You cannot be judgmental about anybody's needs, and I derive a lot of happiness out of being very, very drawn towards consumer things, and I love it.
你不能对别人的需求说三道四,而且我在购物中得到了快乐,我喜欢这样。
And I'm not apologetic about it.
对此我并不感到抱歉。
So if I tell you that poor people have a smaller carbon footprint as compared to their richer counterparts, do you feel apologetic about it?
如果我告诉你,与穷人相比,富人的碳足迹更大,你会感到抱歉吗?
So the brain says yes, we should be apologetic about it, but the heart does not agree.
理性地讲,我应该感到抱歉;但感性地讲,我并不感到抱歉。
Yes, poor can’t afford lots of stuff so their carbon imprint is small, but here my heart wins over my brain because it gives me happiness.
是的,穷人买不起很多东西,所以他们的碳足迹很小,但我的感性战胜了理性,因为购物能给我幸福。
Priti does not feel apologetic about her shopping. She doesn’t think that she should feel sorry.
普丽蒂并不为购物感到抱歉,她认为不该如此。
Shopping makes her happy and she lets her heart rule her head – an idiom meaning that you do something based on emotions rather than reason.
购物让她快乐,所以她的心控制了她的大脑。“let her heart rule her head”是一个俚语,意为让情绪而不是理性来指导你的行为。
Priti is being very honest.
普丽蒂非常诚实。
She is consuming and looking for happiness in a way that people in the west have been doing for decades.
她通过购物来获得快乐。西方人几十年来一直是这样做的。
It seems overconsumption is a bigger cause of climate change than raw population numbers.
与单纯的人口数量相比,过度消费似乎对气候变化负有更大责任。
Speaking of which, what was the answer to your question, Sam?
说到这个,萨姆,你的问题的答案是什么?
Ah yes, I asked about the current global population.
啊,对,我问过你目前的全球人口是多少。
You guessed it was around eight billion people which was… the correct answer!
你猜大约有80亿人,回答正确!
According to the United Nations, the world’s population reached eight billion on November 15, 2022.
据联合国统计,2022年11月15日,世界人口达到80亿。
Right, let’s recap the vocabulary we’ve learned.
好了,让我们回顾一下本期词汇。
Starting with carbon footprint, a measurement of how much carbon dioxide someone’s activities produce.
从“carbon footprint”开始,它是衡量一个人的活动产生了多少二氧化碳的指标。
If you crunch numbers, you perform many mathematical calculations involving large amounts of data.
“crunch numbers”意为,进行许多涉及大量数据的数学计算。
Mod cons is short for "modern conveniences", machines like cars, washing machines, and fridges which make life easier and more pleasant.
“mod cons”是“modern conveniences”的缩写,指的是汽车、洗衣机、冰箱等让生活更轻松、更愉快的机器。
Affluence means having lots of money or material possessions.
“affluence”意为,拥有大量的金钱或物质财富。
If you are apologetic, you show that you feel sorry for something harmful you have said or done.
“be apologetic”意为,对自己说过或做过的坏事感到抱歉。
And finally, the idiom let your heart rule your head means to do something based on emotion and personal desires rather than for logical or practical reasons.
最后,俚语“let your heart rule your head”的意思是,基于情感和个人欲望做某事,而不是基于理性分析。
For now it’s goodbye! Bye bye!
下期再见!再见!