Dr. Jill, can you help me with this memo?
吉尔博士,你能帮我看一下这份备忘录吗?
Sure, John, what is it for?
当然可以,约翰,这是干什么用的?
I have to explain the new office rules to our coworkers.
我得向我们的同事解释新的办公室规定。
Okay, read me the first part.
好吧,给我读第一部分。
You know, as government workers, we have to write in plain English--to save time and to communicate more clearly.
作为政府工作人员,我们必须用通俗易懂的英语写作——以节省时间并使得沟通更清楚。
Our plan, at this point in time, is to return to the office next month...
目前我们的计划是下个月回到办公室办公……
Hold on--make that "We plan to return to the office next month."
等一下——写成“我们计划下个月回办公室办公。”
Oh, that's shorter--and clearer.
哦,这样更短——也更清楚。
The next part is, "Each employee is required to wear masks in the building and in his or her own office."
下一部分是,“要求每个员工在大楼内和自己的办公室里戴口罩。”
How about this? "You must wear a mask in your office."
这样写怎么样?“你在办公室里必须戴口罩。”
That's simple! All right...
这更简洁!好的……
If you want others to understand your message, short and simple is better.
如果你想让别人理解你的信息,简明扼要更好。
Want to try making this shorter?
想试着把这句话缩短一点吗?
All employees are asked to make sure they are vaccinated before returning to work.
要求所有员工在返回工作岗位之前接种疫苗。
I know, "Get your shots before you come back to work!"
我知道,“在你回来工作之前先打疫苗!”
Perfect! So the next time you write a memo, try to make the sentences simple and clear.
太棒了!所以下次你写备忘录的时候,尽量把句子写得简单明了。
Then it will be easier for everyone to understand.
这样大家就更容易理解了。
And that's Everyday Grammar!
以上就是今天的《每日语法》!