Hey, John, did you enjoy your trip to Guadeloupe?
嘿,约翰,你去瓜德罗普玩得开心吗?
I sure did. Here's something I saw there.
当然。这是我在那里看到的一些东西。
What would you call someone who lives there? Guadeloupian? Or French?
你会怎么称呼住在那里的人?瓜德罗普人?还是法国人?
Ah, I see, because they are part of France.
啊,我明白了,因为他们是法国的一部分。
You know, I've been reading about how we make demonyms, nouns from country names.
我一直在读有关我们如何造出区域居民称谓词(即来自国家名称的名词)的资料。
Don't we just add a suffix, like -ian or -ese?
难道我们不是加个后缀(如-ian或-ese)就可以了吗?
And you told me before it depends on where English borrowed the country name.
你之前告诉过我,这取决于英语从哪里借用了国家的名称。
Like -ish is from German and -ian is from French.
如-ish来自德语,而-ian来自法语。
That's right, but not always.
没错,但并不总是如此。
Sometimes the name for the people is different, like people from Turkey are called Turks.
有时某些区域居民的称谓是不同的,比如来自土耳其的人被称为Turks(土耳其人)。
OK, Let's make it a game.
好吧,我们把它做成一个游戏吧。
Let's each name a country and the other person will guess the demonym.
我们每人说出一个国家的名称,另一个人猜这个国家居民的称谓词。
You're on! How about Switzerland?
好!瑞士?
Easy-Swiss-and that's from French, I know.
容易——Swiss(瑞士人)——它来自法语。
Now for you-United Arab Emirates.
现在轮到你——阿联酋。
Emiratis. The -i ending is from Arabic.
Emiratis(阿联酋人)。后缀-i来自阿拉伯语。
John, who is from Mali?
约翰,谁来自马里?
Malians. Here's a tough one-Madagascar.
Malians(马里人)。这儿有一个难的——马达加斯加。
Hmm. Malagasy?
嗯。Malagasy(马达加斯加人)?
Oh, you got it!
哦,你说对了!
Now for you-Iceland.
现在轮到你——冰岛。
Icelander. What a beautiful place! I've got one for you-Suriname.
Icelander(冰岛人)。多美的地方啊!我为你想到了一个——苏里南。
That must be Surinamers.
那一定是Surinamers(苏里南人)。
They speak Dutch there.
那里的人说荷兰语。
I give up! You've been studying this!
我放弃了!你一直在研究这个!
And that's Everyday Grammar.
以上就是今天的《每日语法》。