Wow, there's never as simple as that.
哇哦,可没有那么简单。
To survive and thrive in any business is hard.
在任何行业中生存和发展都是很困难的。
And to survive and thrive in the media business is the hardest, I should say, for the past two decades or so.
而且,我可以这么说,在过去20年左右的时间里,在媒体行业生存和发展是最难的。
Because when we decided to start up a private media company, there was literally no such a thing called a "media market" yet.
因为在我们决定创办一家私人媒体公司的那个时候,还没有所谓的“媒体市场”。
You had to negotiate with government-owned networks.
你得跟国营媒体网络沟通协商。
You have to hire somebody who is moonlighting because they cannot or couldn't afford to resign from government networks.
你不得不雇兼职来做,因为他们没办法或者说负担不起从政府网络辞职。
So basically you had to struggle, you know, between funding, staffing, operation, and of course the censorship issue you have to deal with on the daily basis.
所以基本上你是处于一种奋力挣扎之中,你知道的,资金、人员、运营,当然还有每天都要处理的审查问题。
So it was harsh.
所以当时是很艰苦的。
If you only allow me to mention one thing to survive until now, I think it is passion.
如果你只允许我说一个支撑我走到现在的东西,我想那就是激情。
It is the true passion for high-quality, original content, the true passion for communication between China and the world, the true passion about doing what you're doing.
是对高质量、原创内容的真正激情,是对促进中外交流的真正激情,是对你正在做的事情的真正激情。
You know, otherwise, you would have given that up long before.
否则,你早就放弃了。
Because it's not the most profitable business and a lot of risks involved.
因为这不是特别赚钱的生意,而且还存在很多风险。