It was around 1996, and I was leaving a Broadway rehearsal, trying to walk to the subway. But I couldn’t move.
那是在1996年左右,我离开百老汇的彩排,试图走到地铁站。但我动不了。
I had vertigo—like a spinning helicopter or a falling elevator—and a migraine so severe I couldn’t see.
我晕头转向——就像旋转的直升机或坠落的电梯——偏头痛非常严重,我看不见东西。
I leaned against the wall, terrified. I thought it was a brain tumor.
我靠在墙上,吓坏了。我还以为是脑瘤呢。
An older man appeared and asked if I needed help. Somehow I knew I could trust him.
一位年长的男人出现了,问我是否需要帮助。 不知怎么地,我知道我可以信任他。
He said, “I’m going to get you home, young lady.”
他说,“我要送你回家,年轻人。”
He held my shoulders in the cab and kept me still.
他在车里扶着我的肩膀,让我保持不动。
When we got to my doorstep, he wouldn’t take any money.
我们到我家门口时,他一分钱都没要。
“Just get to where you need to be,” he said.
“仅仅是送到了你需要在的地方,”他说。
I was diagnosed with Ménière’s disease, an inner-ear disorder, in 2000.
2000年,我被诊断出患有美尼尔氏综合症,这是一种内耳疾病。
I’ve learned how to handle it: I eat a low-salt diet and rarely drink alcohol.
我已经学会了如何应对这种病:吃低盐食物,很少喝酒。
Caffeine—I don’t always do great there.
咖啡因——我在这方面做得并不好。
Flashing lights can trigger it, which is ironic since I’m in show business.
闪光灯会触发它,讽刺的是我是在演艺圈工作。
But I’m lucky, because I’m still at it.
但我很幸运,因为我还在做。
And I think it’s given me a special skill, almost a sixth sense, to notice when people are struggling and in pain.
我认为这赋予我一种特殊的技能,几乎是第六感,当人们在挣扎和痛苦时,我会注意到这一点。
I try to help people—with crossing the street, with their groceries.
我试着帮助人们——过马路,搬杂物。
I never got the man’s name, but if I ever found him, I’d tell him he was my angel that day. He flew me home.
我不知道那个人的名字,但如果我找到他,我会告诉他那天他是我的天使。 他带我飞回家。
译文由可可原创,仅供学习交流使用,未经许可请勿转载。