This is Everyday Grammar. I'm Alice Bryant.
这里是《每日语法》节目。我是爱丽丝·布莱恩特。
Have you ever hoped that someone would change a bad habit or unpleasant behavior?
你是否曾经希望别人改掉坏习惯或粗鲁的行为?
If you live on this planet, chances are that you have!
如果你生活在这个星球上,你很有可能有!
One way English speakers express such a hope is with the form "wish+would".
说英语的人表达这种希望的一种方式是用“wish+would”形式。
Listen to the form as this speaker talks about an ongoing problem:
听一下说话者在谈论一个持续存在的问题时的表达形式:
I wish you would stop smoking.
我希望你能戒烟。
It's going to give you lung problems.
吸烟会让你的肺部出问题。
The form "wish十would" is also a way of casually complaining about someone, sometimes knowing that the behavior will not change.
“wish+would”形式也是一种随意抱怨某人的方式,有时明知对方的行为不会改变。
Here's an example: That actor is so rude. I wish he would be nicer to people.
举个例子:那个演员太粗鲁了。我希望他对人好一点。
We can use this form in positive sentences with "would" or negative sentences with "wouldn't" to express the same general meaning, like this:
我们可以在肯定句中用“would”或在否定句中用“wouldn't”来表达相同的意思,例如:
I wish he wouldn't be mean to people.
我希望他不要对人那么刻薄。
I wish you would not smoke cigarettes!
我希望你不要抽烟!
For some English learners, the form "wish+would" may be a little challenging at first because it contains a noun clause.
对于一些英语学习者来说,“wish+would”形式一开始可能有点难,因为它包含了一个名词从句。
Not to worry! You can learn more about the verb "wish" and how we use it with noun clauses on earlier Everyday Grammar programs.
不要担心! 你可以在早期的《每日语法》节目中了解更多关于动词“wish”以及如何将它与名词从句结合使用的知识。
And that's Everyday Grammar.
以上就是今天的《每日语法》。