This is everyday grammar.I'm Alice Bryant.
这里是《每日语法》节目。我是爱丽丝·布莱恩特。
It's probably no secret that I love cats.
我喜欢猫咪,这大概不是什么秘密。
I talk about them. A lot.
我经常提起它们。经常。
And I love my cat. But he can be irritating at times.
我爱我的猫。但他有时候很让人恼火。
For instance, I bought him a scratching post.
比如,我给他买了一个猫爬架。
But instead, he likes to sharpen his claws on the chairs.
但相反,他喜欢在椅子上抓来抓去。
I have tried but I can not get him to stop.
我试过让他停下,但是没用。
He keeps scratching the chairs. And now they are ruined.
他就是不停地抓椅子。现在椅子已经没法看了。
The verb "keep" has a lot of meanings in English.
动词“保持”在英语里有很多意思。
We can, for example, use it to show that something is happening continuously or again and again.
例如,我们可以用它来表示某事不断地或反复地发生。
When we do this, keep is followed by a gerund.
当我们这样使用的时候,keep后面会跟着动名词。
We often use this form to show irritation that an action or situation has not stopped.
我们通常用这种形式来表示对某个持续不停的行为或情况的愤怒。
Students keep playing with their mobile phones in class, for example.
例如,学生们一直在课堂上玩手机。
The ice machine keeps making noise.
制冰机一直发出噪音。
And my soccer mate keeps kicking the ball too far!
我的足球搭档总是把球踢得太远!
Other times, we use "keep" plus gerund to give directions.
有的时候,我们用“keep”加上动名词来指示方向。
Keep walking straight until you see a flower shop on the right.
一直往前走,你会看到右边有家花店。
My house is the first building behind the shop.
商店后面的第一座建筑就是我家。
You heard the speaker say "keep walking straight" to tell someone to continue to walk in a direction.
你听到说话人说“保持直走”来告诉某人继续朝一个方向走。
We also use it for instructions.
我们也用这个词来表示指示说明。
When you boil the noodles, please keep stirring them.
煮面条时,请持续搅拌。
Otherwise, they'll stick together.
否则,面条会黏在一起。
The speaker said keep stirring the noodles to make sure it is done continuously or very often.
说话人的意思是,要不停地搅拌面条,保持动作的连续性或经常性。
"Keep" plus gerund can be very useful, as you can see.
看吧,“keep”加动名词是非常有用的。
And that's Everyday Grammar.
以上就是今天的《每日语法》。