Why did I laugh tonight? — John Keats
《今晚我为什么大笑》约翰·济慈
Why did I laugh tonight?
今晚我为什么大笑
No voice will tell
没有声音会告诉你
No God, no Demon of severe response
没有上帝,没有恶魔的严厉回应
Deigns to reply from Heaven or from Hell
从天堂或地狱回复
Then to my human heart, I turn at once: Heart!
然后我立刻扪心自问:心呀!
Thou and I are here sad and alone
你和我一样悲凉而又孤独
Say wherefore did I laugh?
我说,我为什么大笑?
Oh mortal pain!
啊,致命的苦痛!
Oh darkness!
啊,黑暗!
Darkness! Ever must I moan, to question Heaven and Hell and Heart in vain
黑暗!我要呜咽着问遍上苍、冥府和我自己的心灵,纵然徒劳
Why did I laugh?
我为什么大笑?
I know this Being's lease
我知道生存的租期
My fancy to its utmost blisses spreads
我让幻想伸展到极乐的境界
Yet could I on this very midnight cease
但我也许在今夜停止呼吸
And the world's gaudy ensigns see in shreds
见到尘世的彩旗一片片碎裂
Verse, Fame, and Beauty are intense indeed
诗,名,和美都是强烈的
But Death intenser
但死更强烈些
Death is Life's high meed
死是生命的最高酬劳