We were as good as our word, for it was just seven when we reached the Copper Beeches, having put up our trap at a wayside public-house.
我们说到做到,七点整就已经到了铜山毛榉,并把双轮马车停放在路旁一家小客栈里。
The group of trees, with their dark leaves shining like burnished metal in the light of the setting sun,
那一丛树上的黑叶,象擦亮了的金属,在夕阳的光辉下闪闪发光,
were sufficient to mark the house even had Miss Hunter not been standing smiling on the door-step.
这就足以使我们认出那幢房子,即使亨特小姐没有站在门口台阶上微笑地面向着我们的话。
"Have you managed it?" asked Holmes.
"你都安排好了吗?"福尔摩斯问。
A loud thudding noise came from somewhere downstairs.
这时从楼下的什么地方传来了响亮的撞击声。
"That is Mrs. Toller in the cellar," said she.
"那是托勒太太在地窖里,"她说,
"Her husband lies snoring on the kitchen rug. Here are his keys, which are the duplicates of Mr. Rucastle's."
"她的丈夫躺在厨房的地毯上鼾声如雷地酣睡着。这是他的一串钥匙,和鲁卡斯尔先生的那串钥匙是完全一样的。"
"You have done well indeed!" cried Holmes with enthusiasm.
"你干得实在漂亮!"福尔摩斯先生热情地喊着,
"Now lead the way, and we shall soon see the end of this black business."
"现在你带路,我们就要看到这桩黑勾当的结局了。"
We passed up the stair, unlocked the door, followed on down a passage,
我们走到楼上去,把那房门的锁打开,沿着过道往里走,
and found ourselves in front of the barricade which Miss Hunter had described.
直走到亨特小姐所叙述的障碍物前面。
Holmes cut the cord and removed the transverse bar.
福尔摩斯割断绳索,将那根横挡着的粗铁杠挪开。
Then he tried the various keys in the lock, but without success.
然后他用那串钥匙一把一把地试开那门锁,但都开不开。
No sound came from within, and at the silence Holmes's face clouded over.
房间里没有任何一点动静,在这寂静之中,福尔摩斯的脸色阴沉了下来。
"I trust that we are not too late," said he.
"我相信我们来得并不太晚,"他说。
"I think, Miss Hunter, that we had better go in without you.
"亨特小姐,我想最好你还是不要跟我们进去。
Now, Watson, put your shoulder to it, and we shall see whether we cannot make our way in."
现在这样,华生,你把你的肩膀顶住它,看看我们到底能不能进去。"