TYRION
提利昂
Varys stood over the brazier, warming his soft hands.
瓦里斯站在火盆边,烘烤着柔软的手。
"It would appear Renly was murdered most fearfully in the very midst of his army.
“蓝礼居然在大军之中被人极其可怕地谋杀,真令人不敢相信。
His throat was opened from ear to ear by a blade that passed through steel and bone as if they were soft cheese."
那把利刃就像切奶酪一样穿过钢铁和骨头,把他喉咙从左耳根割到右耳根。”
"Murdered by whose hand?" Cersei demanded.
“到底谁干的?”瑟曦质问。
"Have you ever considered that too many answers are the same as no answer at all?
“哎,问题是,太多答案就等于没有答案。
My informers are not always as highly placed as we might like.
而我的情报并不总如我们所愿的那样担任要职。
When a king dies, fancies sprout like mushrooms in the dark.
国王骤然身亡,谣言像阴暗处的蘑菇一样滋生,
A groom says that Renly was slain by a knight of his own Rainbow Guard.
一个马夫说,蓝礼被彩虹护卫之一所害;
A washerwoman claims Stannis stole through the heart of his brother's army with his magic sword.
一个洗衣妇声称,史坦尼斯带着他的魔剑,潜进弟弟的大营之中;
Several men-at-arms believe a woman did the fell deed, but cannot agree on which woman.
一些士兵相信是位女人干的,却无法就哪个女人达成一致。
A maid that Renly had spurned, claims one.
其中一个认为凶手是遭蓝礼抛弃的少女,
A camp follower brought in to serve his pleasure on the eve of battle, says a second.
另一个说是战斗前夜服侍国王的营妓,
The third ventures that it might have been the Lady Catelyn Stark."
第三个则斗胆猜测凯特琳·史塔克夫人是真凶。”
The queen was not pleased.
太后很不高兴,
"Must you waste our time with every rumor the fools care to tell?"
“你非得拿这些笨蛋津津乐道的闲言碎语来浪费我们的时间?”
"You pay me well for these rumors, my gracious queen."
“您为这些闲言碎语付了丰厚的报酬呀,我仁慈的太后陛下。”
"We pay you for the truth, Lord Varys.
“我们付酬是为了真相,瓦里斯大人。
Remember that, or this small council may grow smaller still."
请你记住,否则这小小的会议只怕会变得更小。”
Varys tittered nervously.
瓦里斯神经质地吃吃笑道:
"You and your noble brother will leave His Grace with no council at all if you continue."
“哎,您和您尊贵的弟弟这样攀比下去,国王陛下就没有御前会议了。”
"I daresay, the realm could survive a few less councilors," said Littlefinger with a smile.
“依我看,国家精简几个重臣倒也无妨,”小指头微笑道。
"Dear dear Petyr," said Varys, "are you not concerned that yours might be the next name on the Hand's little list?"
“最最亲爱的培提尔,”瓦里斯说,“您就不担心自己是首相黑名册里的下一个吗?”
"Before you, Varys? I should never dream of it."
“排在你之前,瓦里斯?我做梦也不会这么想。”
"Mayhaps we will be brothers on the Wall together, you and I" Varys giggled again.
“或许咱俩会在长城上当兄弟呢,你和我。”瓦里斯又咯咯笑。
"Sooner than you'd like, if the next words out of your mouth are not something useful, eunuch."
“快了,太监,你再不吐出点有用的东西,就离长城不远了。”