'So,' said he, smiling, 'it was you, then. I thought that it must be when I saw the door open.'
'不错,'他微笑地说,'果然是你,当我看见门开着,我想一定是你。'
'Oh, I am so frightened!' I panted.
'啊,可把我吓死了!'我喘着气说。
'My dear young lady! my dear young lady!' you cannot think how caressing and soothing his manner was
'我亲爱的年轻小姐!我亲爱的年轻小姐!'你料想不出他的态度有多么亲热,多么体贴,
'and what has frightened you, my dear young lady?'
'是什么把你吓成这个样子,我亲爱的年轻小姐?'
But his voice was just a little too coaxing. He overdid it. I was keenly on my guard against him.
但是他说话的声音简直就象在哄孩子。他做得太过分了,我是处处提防着他的。
'I was foolish enough to go into the empty wing,' I answered.
'我够傻的,走到那边的空房子里去了,'我回答说。
'But it is so lonely and eerie in this dim light that I was frightened and ran out again.
'但是,在昏暗的光线下,那里是多么凄凉,多么可怕呀!吓得我又跑了出来。
Oh, it is so dreadfully still in there!'
啊,那里面死沉沉地寂静得可怕!'
'Only that?' said he, looking at me keenly.
'只是那么一些?'他尖锐地瞧着我说。
'Why, what did you think?' I asked.
'怎么啦?你是怎么想的?'我问他。
'Why do you think that I lock this door?'
'我把这个门锁上你是怎么想的?'
'I am sure that I do not know.'
'我确实不知道。'
'It is to keep people out who have no business there. Do you see?'
'就是不让闲人走进去,你明白吗?'
He was still smiling in the most amiable manner.
他还是用那无比亲切的模样微笑着。
'I am sure if I had known...'
'要是我早知道,我肯定...'
'Well, then, you know now. And if you ever put your foot over that threshold again'
'那么,好啦,你现在知道啦!如果你再把你的脚跨过那门槛...'
here in an instant the smile hardened into a grin of rage, and he glared down at me with the face of a demon
说到这里,他的微笑片刻之间变成龇牙咧嘴的狞笑,一张脸象魔鬼似地瞪着我,
'I'll throw you to the mastiff.'
'我就把你扔给那条獒犬。'